Brake Parts time

Iboc_C64

Just looking for oppinions on brake parts without the hype. If Im not going to be racing the car, are slotted rotors worth the money? I have used Brembo before and they are nice looking, and run a little cooler, but they still warped slightly durring the first set of pads. They also rust around the edges, which Im not a fan of. I was looking at cheaper solutions since the brake design of the WRX doesn't really need upgraded parts becuase it brakes well already. I found on Ebay I can get a set of DRT (Design Rotor Technology) rotors that are drilled & slotted with chamfered holes and diamond slots. The hub and rim of the rotors are powder coated with either black, red, or silver power coating. The total for all 4 is something like $140. Has anyone had any bad experiences with this company? I have a feeling these rotors are cheaper than stock and will look better longer than stock rotors. Anyone have any oppinions about this choice or this company? Anyone know of any other rotor brands or retailers with good deals that they could point me to?

On pads, I was thinking about Hawk HPS or Ceramic pads. I am concerned that the ceramic pads could heat up, glaze and fade very quickly. I hated the Satisfied pro pads that I had on my Grand Am. They cost a lot but didn't perform a lot. They could not stop the car well from 75 or higher. Any opinions?

Also, I have to do this on a 2009 WRX and a 2000 2.5RS. Are either of these something that I should let my mechanic handle? Can I just press the pistons back in to the calipers or do they need to be turned in while being pressed like the old Loyale's?

Last edited by a moderator:

GClark

Brakes are very easy on new Subarus. Drilled and slotted rotors tend to eat brake pads and crack. They look cool, but don't add any performance value. Go check out knsbrakes.com, and look for the premium centric. They get really good reviews on NASIOC, so I picked some up. All good so far.

Iboc_C64

The DRT reseller on EBAY claims that thier rotors for the WRX are Premium Centric Black and modified version of that by the looks. I was wrong about the price though, it was like $140 for thier 2.5RS rotors which I don't think were centric rotors and were powder coated. The ones for the WRX were Centric and E-Coated. They are only available in black. They come slotted for $240 for 4 or Slotted and Drilled for $273. I will check out the site you referred to anyway Garrett, thanks.

Here are the Slotted & Drilled ones, though I ussually don't use drilled rotors due to likelyhood of cracks.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Subaru-WRX-09-10-D-S-Brake-Rotors-Premium-F-R-Set-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZalgoQ3dLVIQ26ituQ3dUCIQ26otnQ3d5Q26poQ3dLVIQ26psQ3d63Q26clkidQ3d9218245691488394304QQ_trksidZp5197Q2em7QQitemZ310244119896

Iboc_C64

Just went to knsbrakes.com, might be a one stop shop. Good deals, thanks man. I will keep looking though just to shop around.

2point5RS_Dan

HATER DAN
Cross-drilling does nothing other than look cool. The idea is with extra holes in the rotor you increase surface area which allows it to cool down faster, however in practice very little air actually flows through the holes. Additionally, the mass you lose by cross-drilling makes the brakes heat up faster, meaning under hard use conditions you'll experience brake fade that much sooner. The other benefit of cross-drilling and slotting that gets tossed around is it gives waste gas generated by the pad somewhere to go. This would be true if we were still using brake pad compound that generated excess waste gas - it hasn't been a problem since the late 50s/early 60s. Even the cheapest set of pads you buy from a chain parts store won't generate gas except under crash stop conditions.

Ceramic pads are nice from the standpoint that they generate little dust, but they're very hard on the rotors and offer borderline performance at best.

Centric has owned Stoptech since 2006 or 2007 and from my understanding they just started using StopTech's designs after acquisition and axed their own.

Hawk, Carbotech, Centric are my brand recommendations. Don't get ebay ricer junk.

You can DIY brake service easily, you just push the pistons back in. Rotors are easy as long as your rotor have cheater holes you put a bolt in to push the rotor off the hub.

If you want upgrades, get good fluid, upgraded lines, good pads, bed in your brakes properly. I doubt you'd need more than that.

And your brakes are going to look rusty when you let them sit. We had that thread already. There is nothing you can do about it.

EvilAsPie

Slotted rotors have def helped dissipate heat and debris when autoxing. But not worth it for street use. I haven't heard anything good about drilling rotors on our cars.

HPS pads are a great upgrade for the street, but def produce a fair amount of dust. I haven't use hawks ceramic pads, but I understand they are low dust. I'd be curious how their performance it.

Calipers can be pressed back in with a hand vice and an old brake pad. I would inspect the 2000 calipers very well. The rubber for the pistons and the bracket sliders can be a points of concern. Brake Clean FTW!

Iboc_C64

I was looking to keep the edges, the area that the pad doesn't touch from rusting. My $180 brembos turned orange around the vents and hub within a week and stayed that way until they started flaking. The cheap $17 rotors from VIP held out better but were not attractive.

The Ebay seller I was looking at claimed to be selling "Centric Premium", that's why I asked.

As far as upgrades go, it doesn't need to be an upgrade, but the prices of stock parts are ludicris.

I change my fluid every 30,000 miles. Do you really think braided lines make a noticeable difference?

I was thinking of painting the Calipers too, but I have never had luck getting caliper paint to last more than a year. Any brand advice there? The stock silver finish on them has turned dirt brown.

4WRXter

Skier!
http://www.buybrakes.com/

I put the Powerslot rotors and Hawk PC pads on the FXT. Quite satisfied. You have to be a little careful in the winter or when it is cool, temperature-wise, until they warm up a little. It's probably one of the easiest repairs to do yourself.

Iboc_C64

Hey guys, new question. Stoptech Street Performance, Centric Posi Quiet or Hawk Ceramic? I have not heard anything bad about the Hawk Ceramics, but have had bad experiences with Ceramic myself. The Centric Posi-Quiets seem to get great reviews too. I am a somewhat agressive driver at times, but I don't race the car or auto cross it so do I really want the Street Performance or the Hawk Ceramics? Would the posiquiets do the Job? Also whats all this about shims? I have never used anything but pads and rotors and maybe a fluid change in brake maintenance.

Matt

the shim is just a thin sheet of metal between the pad and piston....gives it slightly firmer pedal.

Latest posts

Back