Brakes Borked, Help Needed!!

Runnah

Ok I have a problem. The circled bolt/spring/piston thing is frozed up. I tried with no luck to free it back up.

Is there anyway to free this up?

Can I replace just the bolt and associated parts or do I need a whole new bracket?

Its already cause my old pads to wear very unevenly and I just put on some fancy new pads and I don't wan the same thing to happen to them.

Thanks

Runnah

no picture.

??
dammit

Well its the bolt bit the connects the actual caliper to the caliper bracket. Normally its got a bit of a spring to it, but now its locked up and nothing will break it free.

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
well you need new brake pads right? so take some PB blaster to it and then about 20 min later attack with 5lb sledge.

R

rallyXcramps

The slider in the braket, right?

WOrk it baby! With vise grips. Sometimes you can pull it out then pull the booty off and drill out the deposits that are binding everything, then reassemble with lots-o-lube

Sometimes its easier/better to call Napa or the dealer to get a new one.

Shorty

Evergreen Auto Spa
Usually they seize up because at some point someone ripped the boot and that lets water in. PB and work it like Inski said, but get a new boot too. Napa sells a really good synthetic caliper grease and they have boot kits cheap.

Runnah

I may bite the bullet and buy a new/used braket.

I did try using a set of vice grips and a little physical persuasion to get it loose, but no luck.

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
I always used marine grade grease since the boots always seemed to come off (on my saab at least) and the marine stuff is supposed to be used in water, never had a problem when changing pads after the marine grease.

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
yup on the sliders only. and make sure you either change your gloves or put on a new pair when you touch the pads. The grease I used didn't come off my hands even with the pumice hand cleaner and I borked a set of pads that way once.

Rightseat

pull the caliper, lock the slider pins in a vise, and work them out slowly--back and forth twisting motion about half a turn. don't turn in full circle or you won't like results (likely to shear pin off). the slider pins WILL come out, they just get gumed up and like to stick. after you get pins out, clean hole with brake cleaner and a rag over end of phillips screwdriver.

use hi temp grease to lube for reassembly. if rubber boots over sliders are torn, replace them or you'll just have to do this same job again in a year. if the seals on the caliper piston are pooched, consider remanufactured calipers, probly $75 each.

Latest posts

Back