BRZ vs. WRX vs. Other?

Stryker

This is background information, if you don't like stories, skip down to the next paragraph.

So I've been looking for a vehicle to add to my garage for the last few months, I'm a college student and am transferring schools this year and will have a 120 mile commute daily for school for the next few years. Currently I drive a 2000 Forester, hit 200,000 miles a few weeks ago and I love this car. It's still running strong after being ran hard for the last 35,000 miles that I've owned it for. I headed to Prime the other day and test drove the BRZ and the WRX 5-door. I would add the XV and FXT to my list if they had manual transmissions available (XV does yes, but not in Limited trim). Also worth mentioning is that I will be keeping my Forester and using it as a winter beater, I'll drive whatever new car I get on clear days but the Forester will be driven in snow and the new car will be getting snow tires just in case.

First impressions: I absolutely loved the BRZ, I'd never really driven a sporty vehicle so it was definitely a lot of fun but I was also too considerate and was afraid to take the cars past 4K because they're new and I didn't feel like beating on somebodies new car (especially since there was a 0% chance of purchasing these cars since they weren't what I wanted). The BRZ was great, I loved the seating position, I'm a skinny guy (6' 135 lbs) and the seats fit me perfectly. The car felt great, very tight and precise. The WRX on the other hand was kind of sloppy feeling in comparison, everything seemed to have some play to it, nothing a STS, bushings, and some other mods couldn't fix but still didn't compare to the BRZs overall feel. Both cars have their ups and downs to me though...

BRZ Pros/Cons: Pros:

Interior is great (vs. other Subarus)

Car looks great

34 MPG

Coupe with enough room to fit some stuff in the trunk

Rarity

Very "connected" feel, everything feels precise

HIDs

Keyless entry

Cons:

RWD 

Cargo space (I ride mountain bikes, ski, snowboard, and do a host of other activities)

Lack of a good back seat (no 3+ person road trips)

WRX Pros/Cons: Pros: AWD

Turbo

Cargo space (I can fit 4 mountain bikes in my moms 09 OBS)

Has a real back seat Moonroof

Cons: 25 MPG (could be tuned for more, yes)

Insurance is higher

Doesn't look as great (interior and exterior)

"loose" feeling

I went out and test drove these two cars again as well as a few others (GTI, Focus ST, Veloster Turbo). The 370z and Miata PRHT were also on the list but I didn't test drive them because I kind of ruled them out already. I liked the GTI but it's a VW...great when it works, crap when it doesn't. The Focus ST was good at first impressions, but the follow through sucked. FWD and the complete crap interior didn't help it at all. The Veloster was a joke as well, interior was alright but the car just felt weird. Miata got thrown out because I can't put a roof rack on a convertible (which I might do if I get the BRZ), and the 370z I didn't go for because of the lack of interest I had in it.

So basically I need help deciding between the BRZ and WRX. I know they're very different but I just can't make my mind up. I've driven them both again yesterday and this time around I wasn't scared to get on the gas pedal (the sales person drove the car to a parking lot off the dealer property before I drove it and he got on it from the get go on a cold motor). The WRX was a lot more fun this time since I got to use the turbo, but still lacked some feel. The BRZ was also more fun. No matter which one I get I'll be installing an exhaust, intake, and doing a tune pretty quickly. After that I have a whole list of mods and on the BRZs list there is the plan of a supercharger/turbo kit down the road.

C/N : BRZ vs. WRX 5-door vs. other. 120 miles/day, keeping current Forester for bad weather days and equipping snow tires on whatever car I purchase.

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
Keep your forester. You do not need more debt while you are not making an income or at least a sizable one.

Get a nice car after college.
This. 

You will want to punch yourself in the face in 4 years when your 'new' car has 160k on it and needs work and you still owe load on it beside your student loans.  If you want a second car for summer that is fun to drive, buy an older miata for $5-8k and use the fozzy for your outings.  What you have proposed up top here is financial suicide. 

GClark

I know you want to hear, "Ya man, do it, the "insert car here" is sick!" But unless you got the cash money, its a bad idea.  And this is coming from me, who's wasted an extravagant amount of money on cars.  I know it would be so awesome to have a flashy car now, yolo and such, but your future self will hate you if you go 30k in debt for a car. Save up, buy a Miata like Pedro said and have more fun then you would with a BRZ.  Or join the Lexus club, buy a cheap SC300, get a 1jz, make into a fun project
(I know you like those) and have a fast RWD luxury barge with double the hp of the BRZ.  

But we're just some creeps on the internet, so do whatever you want. I'm young and still dumb, but some of the guys have been through this, I'd listen to them. 

Meyagi

I'm a hack
im almost 30 and have never had a car with a payment. if i cant afford it cash money, i dont need it that bad. financial suicide, as pedro put it, hits the nail right on the head.

i-wagon

Payments suck, insurance does as well. I'm 25, bought my car new at19, just payed it off. In retrospect, my Sentra would probably still be kicking and getting 35mpg. Listen to these guys, I didn't even have student loans and just rent and the Subaru made life hard. I only have one payment for my bike, and honestly I think toys aren't a good reason for debt. Pedro's idea isn't that bad, find a cheap toy car, gti, miata, Sentra spec-v

Stryker

Keep your forester. You do not need more debt while you are not making an income or at least a sizable one.

Get a nice car after college.

This. 

You will want to punch yourself in the face in 4 years when your 'new' car has 160k on it and needs work and you still owe load on it beside your student loans.  If you want a second car for summer that is fun to drive, buy an older miata for $5-8k and use the fozzy for your outings.  What you have proposed up top here is financial suicide. 

I know you want to hear, "Ya man, do it, the "insert car here" is sick!" But unless you got the cash money, its a bad idea.  And this is coming from me, who's wasted an extravagant amount of money on cars.  I know it would be so awesome to have a flashy car now, yolo and such, but your future self will hate you if you go 30k in debt for a car. Save up, buy a Miata like Pedro said and have more fun then you would with a BRZ.  Or join the Lexus club, buy a cheap SC300, get a 1jz, make into a fun project

(I know you like those) and have a fast RWD luxury barge with double the hp of the BRZ.  

But we're just some creeps on the internet, so do whatever you want. I'm young and still dumb, but some of the guys have been through this, I'd listen to them. 

im almost 30 and have never had a car with a payment. if i cant afford it cash money, i dont need it that bad. financial suicide, as pedro put it, hits the nail right on the head.

Payments suck, insurance does as well. I'm 25, bought my car new at19, just payed it off. In retrospect, my Sentra would probably still be kicking and getting 35mpg. Listen to these guys, I didn't even have student loans and just rent and the Subaru made life hard. I only have one payment for my bike, and honestly I think toys aren't a good reason for debt. Pedro's idea isn't that bad, find a cheap toy car, gti, miata, Sentra spec-v
School is taken care of via scholarships/grants. I have money saved up for a sizable down payment and have a good cosigner to get a very low interest rate on the remaining amount. I've looked over it multiple times with my parents and it works out.

Forgetting the financials, what do you guys think about the CARS?

Last edited by a moderator:

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
Finish school first.  everybody always forgets that these stupid toys are expensive to maintain and to feed.  I would suggest getting a new Fiesta base with the stick, 40MPG with your 120mi/day is going to be WAY more useful, hell even throw some suspension at it.  You seem pretty intent on spending money you don't have on a car that will be about ready for you to get rid of when you are done with school.  But I have been around this internets thing for long enough to realize that you are going to think I don't understand your financial situation or that your parents will bail you out.  But I have BTDT, still have the canceled cheques. 

Just remember:

$650 for excise tax (first year)
$500/mo car payment

$450/mo +/- GAS

$100/mo Maintanence

I have ~200,000 miles of WRX ownership and that is my average with ~102mi/day commute and that is what it really landed at.

blehhh

FWIW - My 99 Taurus clunked out right after college, and I bought a brand new 2010 Mazda 3 after I accepted my engineering job & salary. Sold it 2 years later for a WRX and took a huge hit on the depreciation trading it in. (Basically cost me $7k in payments to drive for 2 years and break even on the loan).

Now I'm like $5k in mods into my '12 WRX, $22k left on the loan, and all I can think about is how much better off I might be to buy a house right now had I just bought a used car back in 2010. And that's after college.

i-wagon

Don't forget the insurance on a new car. I'm actually intrigued by the Chevy sonic turbo. Small, likely good on gas, if the engine is any good make some small upgrades along with suspension

i-wagon

You're going to do what you want in the end anyway, but you didn't mention any income to make the payments on said car. I don't know what your monthly budget looks like but I'd rather have spending money than another new car

SurlyOBS

Everything these guys said holds water. My modded Forester was loads of fun and I didn't stress about scratches, rust or stuffing it into a snow bank. Save the cash for lift tickets, bike gear and car parts. I learned long ago that car payments and debt in general can make life hard instead of fun. When you graduate with way less debt, your friends will be jealous and the girls will see potentials and less debt "baggage".

Stryker

Finish school first.  everybody always forgets that these stupid toys are expensive to maintain and to feed.  I would suggest getting a new Fiesta base with the stick, 40MPG with your 120mi/day is going to be WAY more useful, hell even throw some suspension at it.  You seem pretty intent on spending money you don't have on a car that will be about ready for you to get rid of when you are done with school.  But I have been around this internets thing for long enough to realize that you are going to think I don't understand your financial situation or that your parents will bail you out.  But I have BTDT, still have the canceled cheques. 

Just remember:

$650 for excise tax (first year)

$500/mo car payment

$450/mo +/- GAS

$100/mo Maintanence

I have ~200,000 miles of WRX ownership and that is my average with ~102mi/day commute and that is what it really landed at.
Car getting registered in NH which helps a bit on the first year taxes (sales), my payment would not be $500, that's for sure. Gas will be more if I keep my forester. Insurance would go up yes, but not by an absurd amount (never gotten a ticket/pulled over). 

Everything these guys said holds water. My modded Forester was loads of fun and I didn't stress about scratches, rust or stuffing it into a snow bank. Save the cash for lift tickets, bike gear and car parts. I learned long ago that car payments and debt in general can make life hard instead of fun. When you graduate with way less debt, your friends will be jealous and the girls will see potentials and less debt "baggage".
Not worrying about stuffing a snow bank in whatever car I get since on the really bad weather days the Forester will get taken out. One of my winter jobs is at a ski mountain which means free season pass to a few hills, I sold my motorcycle
default_frown.gif
and like I said...payments aren't that bad at all.

Can we please stop trying to give me financial advice and actually get down to the cars?

Thanks.

2point5RS_Dan

HATER DAN
Because you know so much more about money than us dirty commoners who actually went to college and had car payments; may I suggest selling your forester and get a brand new audi allroad. They're only 54k optioned out and you'll get the refined interior of the BRZ with the awd and space of a wrx.

dsmith

get an old deisel rabbit. 50mpg

I'm currently in a car loan, granted I only work 20 mins from home so my commute isn't too bad. There are times where I wish that I had a cheap commuter so I could build something fun and fast, but I don't even have the room for that so i'm just trying to over pay my car loan so that I can be out of it when I buy a house so that I can have toys. Plus I want to have the forester in the long run for future family. 

A school year is usually about 12-15 weeks long or 180 days so 720 for a 4 year college. a 120 mile daily commute. so you're looking at about 86k miles just going back and forth to school. not counting any other drives. I wouldn't want to put that many miles on a new car in only 4 years.

But to answer the question you actually wanted feedback for, I would say for a subaru, BRZ and use the forester for the winter and for biking or at the mountain. But vw or something smaller may be better for fuel efficiency.

Latest posts

Back