CAT questions...

stainless

The person that I bought my TS from said that the cat was on its way out.

And that the car would throw a code soon.

300 miles and no code so far.

Question(s)

1- The engine light will come on to let me know there is an issue right/wrong.

2- Has anyone upgraded a cat for thier NA sube? any difference.

3- Any one know of any good CATs that cost less than STOCK?

Any thing else i am missing? ;D

Ps it is great to be back, now i just have to sell my truck!

jcovey2.5

i have an 05 RS, before i had the sti swap done i had a magnaflow high flow cat. was on a 2 1/4 header back exhaust (still for sale

stainless

USM Ty Ty has a cat he needs to get rid of. PM him for more info...
That new to him...
default_wink.png

Ty Ty

I just got the joke...haha.
default_wink.png

I had to think about it for a half hour or so, and then it bit me.

soposube

The question at hand should be.

'How do I know if my CAT is on its way out?'

Besides an order of rotten eggs is there anyway that one can tell if the CAT is dying?

SUBARUDE

it was probably just someone who wanted to sell her a cat

most aftermarket don't last very long before they start throwing CEL's

Shorty

Evergreen Auto Spa
Subaru's usually throw a cat code before you notice a problem. They have a pretty low thresh hold for that type of thing. No CEL, drive it. I wouldn't fix it until you have a problem.

inski

I don't think its just Subarus. 99+ VWs have cat issues also, and any GM with an ECOTEC or over head cam v6 engine.

theory:

In an effort to make stuff cheaper/less expensive, especially if its a required by law item, manufacturers are trying to make them as cheap as possible to save themselves $$ during manufacturering. The ingredience in a cat is highly reactive precious and semi-precious metals. Might as well skimp on the non profitable required expensive stuff. Some junk collectors are paying $100 a piece for junk cats...that's why dealers are finding some missing off of new cars on the lot, like V8s with 4 cats.

They go a long way are eliminating hydrocarbons and other nasty chemicals your car makes. When the cats dont work you can smell the difference and the atmosphere hates you.

Latest posts

Back