Catted or Catless

05Rex

No. You would be surprised about how much you don't really need a full 3" exhaust. The guys over at Rallitek run a 08 WRX with an AVO 380 turbo, making buko power.... and all through a STOCK CAT BACK.
Really, well that changes everything!!! I have been ignoring any shorty pipe I have been seeing for sale, now I will have to go back and re-look. So if it is not the higher flow of a 3" exhaust, what is the major change in a downpipe upgrade? Is it just the cat removal in the downpipe or is the design really that flawed in a stock downpipe? Does Bellmouth make that much of a difference with a stock turbo? On that note, is a divorced wastegate any better?

As I sit right now I have a Catback Magnaflow exhaust with 3" pipe, then it is all stock from there back. They welded a 2 1/4" (that is what our stock pipe it the 05 is right?) adapter on the end of the catback.

My goal is to go stage 2 for as little of my hard earned money as possible, as I said I am not to concerned with a 2 or 3hp loss if it saves me a $100, I just want to go stage 2 so bad I can taste it! From everything I have read, stage 1 with an uppipe (on an 05 and bellow of course) is nice but stage 2 is OMFG nice!

I will do a little more searching and see what I come up with for shorty pipes. Kick @$$ input from everyone, thanks much and keep it coming, I am learning a ton and lovin' it!!!

Nate

Founding Father
I ran a shorty setup as my first DP. IN fact the setup Dan talk about a couple posts back was on my car. The major restriction in the stock setup isn't the pipe design, it's the cats. They are VERY restrictive.

I took a shorty DP, mated it to the stock secondary cat, but emptied the cat material out first. Stage 2 tune, and BAM! Done.

Ask Joel or Doug at EG. Their race car has a custom stock size piping TBE. (Race regulations) and they are running stage 2. I'm not going to say it doesn't have something to do with the piping size, but it has WAY more to do with getting rid of the 2 restrictive cats.

yamasxv

Ive always loved my bellmouth catless....but have recently been having issues with the po-po for it and am considering switching to a high flow catted at some point. It may be more expensive but take into account a couple $140 tickets and its not anymore lol. Of course having one of the louder full 3" exhausts out there also might have something to do with it....If i wasnt so sick of dealing w the bs there is NO WAY i would switch!

05Rex

Alright, back in the swing again. Took a vaca to go to Vegas for my Honeymoon, all I got to say is WOW that place is NUTSO!!! Maybe I will post some pics and videos in another thread.

Well I don't want to highjack my own thread so on to my question. To continue were this left off a month and a half ago, I have been looking into some shorty pipes and found a Bosal for $125 on Nasioc. I can't seem to find anything in in the form of a review for these things and as far as I can see they don't make them anymore which gives me reason for concern. Any thoughts on this particular pipe? From what I have been able to find it will bolt right up to my stock mid-pipe and has little to no fit issues. How about performance? Price seems right. If I do go with this, should I heat wrap it? Time is critical as for that price I doubt it will be around long. As always, thanks in advance.

drvsdwz

DRiVe SiDeWayZ
yeah, it doesn't look like the whole downpipe. looks like you would need to separate yours and bolt the lower half of the oem to that one. You should see more power and a little more noise because of a cat delete though. I don't know how much power though.

05Rex

yeah, it doesn't look like the whole downpipe. looks like you would need to separate yours and bolt the lower half of the oem to that one. You should see more power and a little more noise because of a cat delete though. I don't know how much power though.
Yeah, it wouldn't replace the mid-pipe, just the down pipe, so it would still leave the one rear cat which I could leave or punch out to go catless with still having a cat look. Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with this pipe, good or bad. Seems to be a good design, divorced wastegate and all and the price isn't all that bad either.

Also, would I be able to go stage 2 leaving the 1 rear cat or would I have to remove or replace it with a highflow cat before I do so?

drvsdwz

DRiVe SiDeWayZ
i would get this and be worry free. I have had this one my car for about 5 months now and it sounds and performs great! this way you don't have to take parts on and off to take to an inspection station. and it is the cheapest catted dp you can find. bellmouth design and 3 in diameter.

drvsdwz

DRiVe SiDeWayZ
dude catless is the tits man. you really get that raw exhaust smell, its awesome. plus more HP which means more View attachment 4059

i gotta say, the hp difference is not noticeable at all, cat allows you to be inspected without replacing the dp, and if a cop is following and you backfire with a catless dp, you're likely to be pulled over....

drvsdwz

DRiVe SiDeWayZ
i would get this and be worry free. I have had this one my car for about 5 months now and it sounds and performs great! this way you don't have to take parts on and off to take to an inspection station. and it is the cheapest catted dp you can find. bellmouth design and 3 in diameter.

I'm sorry, i thought i said it was for an erz catted dp. hope that clarifies.

drvsdwz

DRiVe SiDeWayZ
also, i'll try not to post too many here, but catless also cause boost creep because of the incredible decrease in back pressure. the high flow cat is enough to remedy the creep.

05Rex

I ended up going with the Bosal Shorty for a few reasons. Positive 1st hand experience from Apollyon12 and from some of the things he and Nate said it seems like a good fit for me at this point. With a shorty it leaves me with some options and I like options.

I am going to start out with the downpipe and leaving the stock mid-pipe for now and flashing stage 2 and seeing how that feels. I eventually plan on either buying or having a straight through mid-pipe made to try catless and then possible getting a highflow cat welded into the mid-pipe so I can personally feel the difference between all 3 and see if there really is much of a difference in relation to the Buttdyno.

I thought about punching out the cat in my stock mid-pipe but I have been thinking about it and would like to keep it so if I want to back to stock in case I want to sell the car or I get hassled by "the man" I can put it back on, as I said, I like options.

I am going to try to find the time to install this over the weekend, any words of advice or things to keep in mind when I do this? I have a brand new gasket for the turbo to downpipe, do I need a donut gasket for where it attaches to the mid-pipe?

As always, any thoughts or suggestions are welcome and appreciated!!

Thanks

05Rex

So I have the downpipe installed and flashed to stage 2 with a stock mid-pipe and stock 3rd cat in place. All I got to say is WOW!!!

My plan is to either have a catless mid-pipe fabbed up or purchase one online if I can find one. Any suggestions as to what my best options are in regards to this? I am going to do some searching online and see what I can find but if anyone can point me in the right direction and save me some time I would appreciate it.

Latest posts

Back