Cell phone service?

XDIRTYX

so i have sprint and have had them for like 4 years and like them, my contract ends in nov. i just upgraded to the palm pre and it sucked. no reception so i returned it. im looking to maybe go elsewhere, i had at&t for like 10 years and hated them but i like the iphone. i need a web phone so any thoughts or what do you have and how is your reception where you travel?
default_wink.png

L-town

Tmobile mytouch FTW how many minutes do u want? We can do 1000 anytime unl ngt/wks free mobile2mobile 49.99 plus data for 34.99 which includes unl text and pix total 84.98 b4 tax mytouch is on sale now for 149.99

Ryan

IMO / IME:

AT&T has the best phones (iPhone, duh!), but there coverage and rates suck hardcore.

Verizon has crappy selection for phones, but has really good coverage and better rates/plans.

Kristof

Banned
yeah i was going to reccomend verizon for their service i live int he middle of no were and get great reception

L-town

Iphone is last years news. Go to tmob auth dealer and check out the mytouch. Its 3g full touch screen, and has the new Android OS which by far is better than any OS out there. IT OPEN SOURCE!! There are thousands of apps on the android market for free. Basically anything you would need the phone for you can use it for. Specs are: 3G, 192MB Internal memory 4 gig micros sd card included with expandable to 32Gig if you can find one. REAL GPS not triangulated gps like most phones accurate to 9ft. Google maps, 1 touch google search. Google maps. Full HTML webrowsing, real youtube not just mobile youtube. And yeah " theres an ap for that" OH BTW Oprah and Jesse James Endorse it.

2point5RS_Dan

HATER DAN
Skip Verizon. If you want web, try the mytouch 3g and the iphone, Tmobile and ATT respectively. G1 from tmobile is also a choice if you want a hardware keyboard. Blackberry's might work for you but honestly I know very little about those.

Android is playing catch up to the iphone dev/userbase. There are more devs, users, and programs for the iphone. Period. I'm a G1 owner and love android, but seriously the Iphone has stuff we don't, and we have stuff they don't. Both devices have their unique "killer apps". (there's enough of this us vs them garbage on the internet between the two already, there's no need to start more).

They're both great phone OS's and are the only ones that are really relevant at the moment. Blackberry is also holding strong. (again I don't know much about BB). WinMo, Symbian are outdated, and the Pre doesn't have the apps to back up the OS yet.

I used to sell phones and honestly, do the research, compare the rate plans between the companies, then go into a store and play with the phones, what ever you like usability wise / rate plan wise go for. There is no "BEST PHONE" on the market and different things work for different people. I'm not going to try and sway you into a phone that isn't a good fit for you just because I have a pro android or iphone agenda.

Heck you might like the verizon rate plans and phones even though I can't stand them. Different strokes for different folks. I have friends who love verizon because everyone and their mom has verizon so they have unlimited calling.

I use android daily and I play with iphones often, and really it's a matter of user preference, they both provide a good user experience. Pick which you find more usable rather than what others push on you or what ever is the "flavor of the month".

As for coverage, where are you using the phone? You mentioned traveling, are you in country or traveling abroad? I'm sure ATT and Verizon both have coverage maps, heck we had ATT coverage maps online 4 years ago when I was still working for them. I'd be willing to help dig up coverage maps for all the companies you are interest in.

Ltown clearly wants you to go android and tmobile, I'm sure the ATT salesmen on here will want you to go towards the iphone, but really, it's a matter of finding what device and service is right for you.

Sorry if I've stepped on anyone's toes / pissed you off / whatever. I sat here rereading the post preview for a good 10 minutes trying to work this post out so it wouldn't blow out into a flamewar and at the same time trying to be unbiased and informative. I don't feel it's right to push him into a phone and service that may not be the right fit for him.

XDIRTYX

thanks dan, that was a great write up! as far as coverage at&t has the best coverage for where i am. tmobile doesn't have good coverage near me. same with verison. my buddy has a charter buisness and he goes way out in the ocean and people always have reception with att. he also just switched to att from sprint and is really happy. my sister also has an iphone and likes it. i have till nov to decide, but it looks like att

Tyler

IMO / IME:
AT&T has the best phones (iPhone, duh!), but there coverage and rates suck hardcore.

Verizon has crappy selection for phones, but has really good coverage and better rates/plans.
Lies ... Verizon has the "iPhone Killer", Samsung Omnia. I have it and love it. Full touch, WinMo6 ... it's great. 5mp camera with autofocus and flash, 8gb built in memory, accepts 16gb sdcard for up to 24gb (maybe more, I can't remember), FM radio, oh and best of all, they've unlocked GPS on it so you can download Google Maps and have GPS in your car free
default_idk.gif
... I simply love this phone. Service is great and I've only ever been completely out of service a couple times in the last 7 years ... I think they're updating towers or something though ... it's been up and down the last week or so.

Oh and wouldn't you want "the network" following you around?
default_frown.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

STInate

Baxley’s Speed Shop
O jesus this thread scares me.

I work for AT&T and have hooked up a lot of people on here with iphones including carter and ferrari. If you have any questions just PM me or I can give you my number. The iphone is simply the on the most well made phones I have ever seen. Is it really a big suprise? Its made by apple. Even if you dont buy one from me, just get one.

(but make sure you come to me:D)

L-town

I wont lie the iphone makes me hard, I like it and I as well use a G1 if you're in berwick chances are AT&T will be your best for coverage. I'm not trying to push you away from anyone I just want people who dont know to know that there are other smartphones that are amazing not just the IPHONE. It is a great phone dont get me wrong but its not "THE ONLY" phone out there that will give you what your looking for. Having had all three carriers AT, ver, tmob, In my personal opinion

Customer care: Tmobile, At&t, Verizon

Security: Tmobile, At&t and Verizon is on a CDMA net work which is not safe like the other two who run on GSM which is an encrypted network

Coverage: At&t has better coverage then Tmob, but you tmobile can roam at no cost in most areas that At&t cover. So if you find yourself without service then all you have to do is a manual network selection.

STInate

Baxley’s Speed Shop
Iphone is last years news. Go to tmob auth dealer and check out the mytouch. Its 3g full touch screen, and has the new Android OS which by far is better than any OS out there. IT OPEN SOURCE!! There are thousands of apps on the android market for free. Basically anything you would need the phone for you can use it for. Specs are: 3G, 192MB Internal memory 4 gig micros sd card included with expandable to 32Gig if you can find one. REAL GPS not triangulated gps like most phones accurate to 9ft. Google maps, 1 touch google search. Google maps. Full HTML webrowsing, real youtube not just mobile youtube. And yeah " theres an ap for that" OH BTW Oprah and Jesse James Endorse it.

I work with two guys that just came from t mobile whom both had some interesting things to say about how they liked android. The entire t mobile staff used unlocked iphones by the way. Im all for open source and all but there is over 65k apps available for the iphone and over half are free. Dont forget we are selling 8GB iphone 3G's for only $99.

-----Added 9/25/2009 at 08:43:47-----

Skip Verizon. If you want web, try the mytouch 3g and the iphone, Tmobile and ATT respectively. G1 from tmobile is also a choice if you want a hardware keyboard. Blackberry's might work for you but honestly I know very little about those.
Android is playing catch up to the iphone dev/userbase. There are more devs, users, and programs for the iphone. Period. I'm a G1 owner and love android, but seriously the Iphone has stuff we don't, and we have stuff they don't. Both devices have their unique "killer apps". (there's enough of this us vs them garbage on the internet between the two already, there's no need to start more).

They're both great phone OS's and are the only ones that are really relevant at the moment. Blackberry is also holding strong. (again I don't know much about BB). WinMo, Symbian are outdated, and the Pre doesn't have the apps to back up the OS yet.

I used to sell phones and honestly, do the research, compare the rate plans between the companies, then go into a store and play with the phones, what ever you like usability wise / rate plan wise go for. There is no "BEST PHONE" on the market and different things work for different people. I'm not going to try and sway you into a phone that isn't a good fit for you just because I have a pro android or iphone agenda.

Heck you might like the verizon rate plans and phones even though I can't stand them. Different strokes for different folks. I have friends who love verizon because everyone and their mom has verizon so they have unlimited calling.

I use android daily and I play with iphones often, and really it's a matter of user preference, they both provide a good user experience. Pick which you find more usable rather than what others push on you or what ever is the "flavor of the month".

As for coverage, where are you using the phone? You mentioned traveling, are you in country or traveling abroad? I'm sure ATT and Verizon both have coverage maps, heck we had ATT coverage maps online 4 years ago when I was still working for them. I'd be willing to help dig up coverage maps for all the companies you are interest in.

Ltown clearly wants you to go android and tmobile, I'm sure the ATT salesmen on here will want you to go towards the iphone, but really, it's a matter of finding what device and service is right for you.

Sorry if I've stepped on anyone's toes / pissed you off / whatever. I sat here rereading the post preview for a good 10 minutes trying to work this post out so it wouldn't blow out into a flamewar and at the same time trying to be unbiased and informative. I don't feel it's right to push him into a phone and service that may not be the right fit for him.

I 100% agree with everything you said. I am completly biased towards the iphone and until something better comes out that's how I will stay. You can add BB to your list of outdated operating systems too by the way. No one buys those anymore.

L-town

I wont argue the iphone is a great phone. Yeah it does have more apps. The android os has only been on the market for a year now so it has a little ways to catch up. However with it being open source anyone who can write java programs can develop a program for their phone. As of now android has about 25k apps and 75 percent are free. It has most the major apps that the iphone has. We can go back and forth of what one has and what the other doesn't. When it comes down to it though its personal preference. As Dan said check them both out. I dont sell phones but I do work for T-mobile as a customer care and tech rep in the oakland call center. If you want reliability, so far the android OS has proven to be incredibly reliable.

2point5RS_Dan

HATER DAN
I 100% agree with everything you said. I am completly biased towards the iphone and until something better comes out that's how I will stay. You can add BB to your list of outdated operating systems too by the way. No one buys those anymore.
I don't blame you, iPhones amazing devices. They're the best right now period. They have more apps / devs / users, the hardware is proven, etc. They're not for me and I personally use a G1 on ATT, but I recommend the iPhone a lot.

XDIRTYX mentioned coverage, and that's whats number one. If your phone doesn't work where you want to use it, whats the point.

STInate

Baxley’s Speed Shop
I wont argue the iphone is a great phone. Yeah it does have more apps. The android os has only been on the market for a year now so it has a little ways to catch up. However with it being open source anyone who can write java programs can develop a program for their phone. As of now android has about 25k apps and 75 percent are free. It has most the major apps that the iphone has. We can go back and forth of what one has and what the other doesn't. When it comes down to it though its personal preference. As Dan said check them both out. I dont sell phones but I do work for T-mobile as a customer care and tech rep in the oakland call center. If you want reliability, so far the android OS has proven to be incredibly reliable.
Im a huge fan of open source and google as a company and I think if the iphone wasnt around and I didnt work for at&t I would probally look into it. I think android is off to a good start and with some more polishing it may give the iphone some competition. Im honestly sick of the iphone being on top because I kinda want to see what could be better but so far personally I haven't seen anything out there that makes me want to put my phone down. Like Dan said me and L-town could probally go at this all day
default_idk.gif

L-town

Haha we could but I have to go to work... Oh wait I have full web on my phone so I could respond while I'm work
default_idk.gif
haha

Latest posts

Back