changing brake pads for first time

skipow

so I have a couple questions about swapping brake pads on my 02 wrx.

first of all- I removed whatever type of pads that were in there (no idea what kind) - im putting ceramics in.

removed rear pads and noticed the wear pattern seemed to be sorta off - is this normal for rear pads? they look like they need replacement yes?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

second question- I removed the pads that were in the front calipers and noticed these clips were in there, the new pads dont really fit with both bottom and top clips but will fit easily with just one clip- do I need them?

on one of the fronts I managed to tap in one of the sides using a rubber mallet and both clips still installed. pad is pretty well stuck in there now- is that ok? it doesn't need to float in the holder does it?

The rears do need replacing. Make sure the caliper still slides like it should. If it is stick it would need lubricating or the slides replaced.

The clips need to be there also. Did the pads come out easy or were they stuck?

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
Did you take note if which was inside and which was outside?

But uneven wear like that is usually either a stuck piston or a stuck (or sticky) slide on the caliper. Make sure you take the pins out and grease them nicely. And make sure the caliper doesn't have a stuck piston. It's good form to open the bleeder screw when you compress the pistons so you don't blow crud backwards into the ABS system. Make sure you have enough brake fluid so you don't run out when you mash the pedal though. It's not a bad idea to bleed the brakes at this point either, if there's some moisture in there you want it out.

Matt

For the rear you had the pad stuck in the bracket and it just wore funny. Needs to be cleaned really well and lubed. As far as the front you need need both clips. You need to take them both out and clean any rust or debris that's under there. Pads should fit better after. They need to float a little. Just lube in the right spots and make sure it's all clean.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
Use DOT4 normal fluid, use the black synthetic brake grease for the slides and pins.

Pins are the ones that go into the bracket that holds the pads. They're the things the caliper slides in and out of, it's the things that the caliper bolt to. They should slide in and out, if you don't have things that slide in and out... that's a problem.

4WRXter

Skier!
When I did my brakes, I took some fine sandpaper (400 600 800 should be fine) and cleaned all the clips. Also apply liberal amounts of brake cleaner.

On my previous car ('00 RS) I had to file the tabs SLIGHTLY. Just get a flat file, take a few passes on the top of the tab, take a few passes on the bottom, check fit.

And as Chris said, make sure those pins can move. And even if they can it is probably worth removing them and grease 'em. Ask for brake grease at the parts store. You probably just need a little. Not gobs that could get everywhere.

It is worth a little extra time while you have everything apart.

skipow

I just got the fronts together. turns out some various weasel piss and other lubricants really made the new front pads go in easy. im still a little confused as to what the front pins are? can someone find me a picture?

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
I'll look for a pic on google. But you know the two bolts you bolt the caliper on with? They bolts go through the caliper into the slides.

This is a rear, but same idea, the circled bolt bolts the caliper into the slide.

inside.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

skipow

ok sweet. thanks man.

also 1 more dumb question. I compressed the piston in my rear caliper- how do I get it to uncompress to test that it moves well and doesn't stick? I need to start the car yeah?

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
ok sweet. thanks man.

also 1 more dumb question. I compressed the piston in my rear caliper- how do I get it to uncompress to test that it moves well and doesn't stick? I need to start the car yeah?
You don't need to have the car running. If it compressed with relative ease, you're fine.

If you want, you can extend it. Car off. Push on the brake pedal just a TINY bit. It's probably not good to have a helper here because they might mash the pedal. If you mash the pedal it could pop the piston out, then you're effed. Don't do that. So VERY careful, push the pedal a TINY bit if you really must to test. But really be careful.

4WRXter

Skier!
The little rubber boot just to the left of Chris' photo will come off the bracket and the pin will come out of the bracket. Be VERY careful not to rip the little rubber boot. Notice that the pins have 2 flat "spots". One of those will mate up to a "notch" on the caliper.

I would suspect by your pic of the unevenly worn pads, one of the pins is stuck. It may be difficult to remove.

4WRXter

Skier!
And a huge caution!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

After you are done, when the car is back on the ground, pump the brakes until they are solid, before you move the car.

Matt

bolt it all back on and pump it....just so you dont blow the piston out and then take it off and check it....you may need a caliper

Latest posts

Back