Clicking sound when turning?

Ryan

I've got this strange audible clicking sound coming from the front end (seems louder front right corner) when I turn the wheel left or right (louder when turned right). Also, when speeds reach 40mph or more, I get an inconsistent "whirring" or wind noise coming from the front right corner. Not sure what to make of these noises. When I had the car at Pape the other day they said the wheel bearings/CV boots all looked fine, so we can possibly rules those out.

Thoughts?

IBratmanI

Subaru Ambassador- AdidaSubarus
The clicking sounds like cv joint. The boot can be be perfectly fine and the joint can be worn out inside.

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
I can look at a seized engine, and say it looks fine. Yay Pape for great diagnostics...

I'll third CV joint.

Mighty Subie

here is a simple way to check them. If you can slide under the car, reach up and grab hold of the transaxle. It should be able to slide in and out a little bit, but not twist separate of the trans/tire. If you can understand what I mean by that.

Meyagi

I'm a hack
axles are pretty easy to swap out, id start there for sure. the whirring noise is usually a failing wheel bearing tho

05RSKID

I would also vote for cv shaft that will give you a clicking when turning and can give you vibrations at those speeds. I have a failing cv and get vibrations from it on the highway.

Meyagi

I'm a hack
ryan is paranoid and has super sonic hearing powers.... I could barely hear the noise, and its def in the front brakes, but nothing serious. you get the front wheels off yet man and poke around in there?

Ryan

I ordered new pads, so hopefully that solves it. The sound has now turned into more of a grinding noise, especially turning right. Going straight the noise completely goes away.

Mighty Subie

Lol well sounds like it should be an easier fix. Maybe some new pads and call it good? It is a breathy sound or a deep grinding? Also, cv shafts do make a very noticeable clicking. It's not barely audible. I know how you are though. Any little thing that happens to mine, I hear it and it always sounds really loud.

Latest posts

Back