Clutch and fly wheel opinions

Nigel Prodrive

Dirt surfer
specialty tools for DIY clutch jobs?

lift

trans jack

engine hoist (to jostle motor/trans unit apart then wiggle em back together)

etc etc

one note re lightweight flywheels for street use...it's real easy to stall the car a lot with a lightweight flywheel and a grabby stg 2 clutch. if you do a lot of heavy traffic driving, or have a driveway/parking situation that requires clutch slippage to manage smoothly, you are gonna be hating life.

Berttmann

i put a lightweight in my previous 2.0L jetta but that was nutless and was pretty easy to get use to so i guess we'll see how the leggy goes

svxsti

I'm going to need a new clutch for my STi RA 5 speed and I know nothing about clutches. The clutch now bounces out of gear, but I don't want a 6 puck to pound on the transmission either.

Nigel Prodrive

Dirt surfer
I'm going to need a new clutch for my STi RA 5 speed and I know nothing about clutches. The clutch now bounces out of gear, but I don't want a 6 puck to pound on the transmission either.
popping out of gear is more likely a gearbox issue than a clutch issue
default_tongue.png

tired clutch will slip on hard upshifts, or start to slip when you get the torque piled on. go to middle revs in 2nd gear then step on it...if clutch slips, you got your culprit.

diabloadsit

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/EXEDY-CLUTCH-KIT-RACING-FLYWHEEL-05-07-SUBARU-LEGACY-GT_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286Q2em20Q2el1116QQhashZitem5ad05809c9QQitemZ390042487241QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories
Def. want to go stage 2 and my stock clutch doesn't hold up to stage one tune from cobbtuning. but this is the set up i've been thinking about. decent deal? curious if there are specialty tools for diy.
Your going to love the Exedy. I have a stage 2 flywheel with a lightweight flywheel and love it. Cars peddle is just a hair stiffer than stock and it is still easy to drive. Stalling shouldn't be an issue.

diabloadsit

Like was stated above. When a car "falls" out of gear it is usually not a clutch issue. My a synchro problem.

Like stated above go into a low gear and stomp it if the revs come up and your car doesn't move you have a bad clutch. You can also try a really high gear and slam the gear going up a small incline see if it slips.

svxsti

Like was stated above. When a car "falls" out of gear it is usually not a clutch issue. My a synchro problem. Like stated above go into a low gear and stomp it if the revs come up and your car doesn't move you have a bad clutch. You can also try a really high gear and slam the gear going up a small incline see if it slips.
Well the clutch isn't slipping, so a synchro problem sounds worse. It only bounces around if I rev it up, shift and then let off the gas.

Back