Clutch Question

So im buying a new disk and flywheel for the rs. i cant, however find the throwout and pilot bearing from act cheap enough. ( i refuse to pay retail for anything ) any suggestions? also on www.advancedclutch.com they list the sti bearings as what fits my car. will they?

Stein

Stein
RS25 and NASIOC classifieds?

There was recently a clutch for $180 because the guy used it to drive 500 miles or something and is trying to sell it before he goes overseas.

I highly doubt that the sti bearings will fit. Not only is it a different engine, but the STIs have a lot of different drivetrain things (like 5x114.3 hubs, not to mention the 6-speed tranny vs. the 5-speeds).

well i already have an act in it. stage one i believe. and its slipping like crazy. ive already found the prolite flywheel for a good price and the pad too. since they are going to both be new i was hoping to round it off with some new bearings. its a 2001. id like to do act bearing but if i can find some that are of equal quality, im happy with that.

IBratmanI

Subaru Ambassador- AdidaSubarus
RS25 and NASIOC classifieds?There was recently a clutch for $180 because the guy used it to drive 500 miles or something and is trying to sell it before he goes overseas.

I highly doubt that the sti bearings will fit. Not only is it a different engine, but the STIs have a lot of different drivetrain things (like 5x114.3 hubs, not to mention the 6-speed tranny vs. the 5-speeds).
Ummm, the pilot, and throw out bearings are part of the clutch and actually, the motor is basically the same as an STi engine, same displacement and all. Just not as bult as the STi engine!! The STi head gaskets will even fit the RS motor, that's how similar they are.

Stein

Stein
Weren't there any big changes between the SOHC and DOHC?

Anyway, I don't really know what I'm talking about, just trying tah help
default_smile.png

IBratmanI

Subaru Ambassador- AdidaSubarus
Considering you can in many circumstances bolt DOHC heads onto SOHC motor and visa versa, I would say not much. And that still has nothing to do with the clutch.

2point5RS_Dan

HATER DAN
Weren't there any big changes between the SOHC and DOHC?Anyway, I don't really know what I'm talking about, just trying tah help
default_smile.png
If you don't know what you're talking about, don't post misinformation. And stop derailing every damn thread on this site.

Nigel Prodrive

Dirt surfer
when you are mixing and matching various parts from various sources, you cut down your ability to cross-shop based on price.

just be sure your pilot bearing is specced to fit the prolite flywheel, and the trhowout bearing is specced to fit the act clutch bits...and the only ppl who know this for sure are prolite and act! Ask them directly, if not you are in the running for "Nummah of the Month."
default_smile.png

so what if you have to spend a few bucks more than ebay, what really sucks is tearing the car apart only to find you don't have the right parts...the inconvenience factor will make you sorry you tried cheap out here and there on little stuff. don't axe how I learnt this the Very Hard Way!

Last edited by a moderator:
Ummm, the pilot, and throw out bearings are part of the clutch and actually, the motor is basically the same as an STi engine, same displacement and all. Just not as bult as the STi engine!! The STi head gaskets will even fit the RS motor, that's how similar they are.

Yea i know that part, i have sti headgaskets in right now. twin layer alloy (stock) vs triple layer steel. but they are .006 thinner, so a plus for the NOBOOST.

when you are mixing and matching various parts from various sources, you cut down your ability to cross-shop based on price.
just be sure your pilot bearing is specced to fit the prolite flywheel, and the trhowout bearing is specced to fit the act clutch bits...and the only ppl who know this for sure are prolite and act! Ask them directly, if not you are in the running for "Nummah of the Month."
default_smile.png

so what if you have to spend a few bucks more than ebay, what really sucks is tearing the car apart only to find you don't have the right parts...the inconvenience factor will make you sorry you tried cheap out here and there on little stuff. don't axe how I learnt this the Very Hard Way!
yeah, loud and clear. that's why i preferred the act bearings. i think im just gonna have to order from act. its only $57 for the both of em and its what they send when you buy the whole kit. so...

rallyxi

My .02 is just to buy the TO that matches the clutch setup you buy. If clutch is too much for the stocker T/O bearing it will cause premature bearing failure..then your doing the job all over again.

just a thought..cheers

e

RS25 and NASIOC classifieds?There was recently a clutch for $180 because the guy used it to drive 500 miles or something and is trying to sell it before he goes overseas.

TheSoundMan

you better think long and hard about the prolight flywheel man......I just put a Street light in a month ago, and its gotten better but it makes a ****-ton of decel noise, The prolight is gonna be much worse im sure.....Ryan will back me up on that.......just make sure your research, because you may regret the decision......

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
yeah, loud and clear. that's why i preferred the act bearings. i think im just gonna have to order from act. its only $57 for the both of em and its what they send when you buy the whole kit. so...
That's not a bad price actually. I think the TOB from subaru was about $30 when I did my clutch. Not sure about the pilot bearing because I got a whole new flywheel, but I'd say that's an alright price for quality bearings. I wouldn't want to cheap out only to have to pull my engine again.

you better think long and hard about the prolight flywheel man......I just put a Street light in a month ago, and its gotten better but it makes a ****-ton of decel noise, The prolight is gonna be much worse im sure.....Ryan will back me up on that.......just make sure your research, because you may regret the decision......
Are you tring to Disuade me?? he he. cant tell. i want more noise!!!!!

So i decided to suck it up and bought the disk, pilot and TOB right from act. as it turned out they only charged 9 bucks to ship the order 7-10 days. not bad. i actually save about 20 bucks from not using the distributor. also, sorry sound man, i HAD ordered the streetlite flywheel, got the names mixed up... dont think my car would even be able to idle with the prolight. lol thanks for all the info guys. much appreciated.

TheSoundMan

withthe streetlight, if the decel noise bothers you, running +5 PSI in the front, makes the noise a lot quieter....

Latest posts

Back