Clutch Questions

Runnah

OK im buying an exedy street clutch to replace my OEM one.

Now a lot of places have been quoting me the price for a whole day's labor for the install. Is it me or does this seem a bit long to replace a clutch?

Should I take it to a subie specific dealer/shop and maybe it wouldn't take them as long?

Or should I get a bunch of STM'er and go that route?

R

redlinerally

Joel and Inski have both said in the past that it takes roughly 6 hours to replace the clutch, due to the fact that you need to pull the engine in order to complete the task. That's where your labor rate is coming from. Lovely design, isn't it?
default_smile.png

If we do a garage day, it's possible that it can be tackled by the STM crew. After all, you _have_ put a lot into this site for all of our enjoyment. It would be wrong to deny you a little help.
default_smile.png

+1 for lending Runnah a hand to save some dough.
default_smile.png

R

redlinerally

Well... actually. If you are lacking a hoist, there is a way to change the clutch without an engine pull. Seth has done it, he'd be better to explain this...

Anyhow, if you proceed with the pull, you might want to do some maintenance items while you are at it. Like:

Timing Belt

Fix any oil leaks

Replace any majorly worn items

Etc.

R

redlinerally

Heck, if it were my car, I'd do a full Seal change-over (head gaskets, valve covers, rear main, cam seal, etc.)

Shorty

Evergreen Auto Spa
You can do it either way. If I didn't have a lift to work under, I'd yank the engine. The tranny is one big heavy SOB to be laying on your back with. In the air, I'd pull the tranny. No coolant to drain that way.

4WRXter

Skier!
So....now my clutch seems to slipping a little on hard shifts. 6 hrs labor and if at least the rear main seal was replaced while engine is out, I'm probably looking at what $500 with parts?

Ferrari

Stage -11ty
Let's all have a garage day to change all our clutches!!! I just or'd the exedy stg1 clutch the other day. I don't need it now but it was a smokin' group buy on nabisco. Should have it in a few days. I'll help in anyway I can if there are others willing to help me. I have a shit-ton of tools too if needed. I just don't have a decent spot to do the work.

inski

Doing clucthes at home is a LOT more time consuming. It took rally24 and I approx 10-12 hours in his garage, and he's a pretty damn good wrench turner. We did get hung up on the snout repair kit for awhile, niether one of us had see it before and it took us awhile to figure out how that was suppose to attach to the T-O bearing.

You can do it either way, pull engine or pull tranny.

RallyGuy24

+1 for clutch day too!!

Definitely more time consuming to do it at home, but not unreasonable. With the space, and a couple people per vehicle it could be done in a day. I'm willing to lend a helping hand just to do it again, not to mention i need to pull my gear box out again to replace the f^@%ing clip on that fancy throwout bearing I've got there... Its ok until i get on the highway and it gets hot, then it makes all kinds of noise... I would recommend doing though if the tranny has lots o miles on it. Just need to use a 'lil safety wire next time. :
default_wink.png

PS. I'll post a product review of the 'snout repair kit' and explain it a bit more.

Latest posts

Back