clutch work...

naSTi06

my lil scoob needs some help. since last year the clutch has slipped, especially in the higher gears when WOT. however recently with more power and miles put on the clutch, it's not doin so good... if i'm in 2nd gear and i put 20% throttle she slips like a mother.

me thinky she needs some new grip.

i just spent a butt load of cash on rebuilding the engine, getting the tune, getting new computers and sensors and little things necessary for engine performance... so i'm a lil strapped for money.

just lookin for input from the Scoobie community for an inexpensive, reliable clutch. best i've found so far is this:

http://www.maperformance.com/competition-clutch-stage-2-clutch-kit-for-04-07-subaru-sti.html

please give me input/ hate mail/ comments on what you think.

thanks

Meyagi

I'm a hack
you looking for advice and some one to install it or just advice?

Those comp clutches are pretty good, ive installed a bunch and have one in my accord. If you can afford it, step up to the stg 3 segmented full disk for a little more holding power.

WVMKWRX

naSTI06, I've got a clutch going/gone in my '06 WRX Wagon as well, I'm considering an A.C.T. 6 puck (spring disc) I don't mind a bit of increased pedal effort, and certainly want it to last longer than the 74,000 than the stocker has made it. That being said I certainly don't want the "full race" on/off switch clutch. Also i've considering whether to switch to a lighter aftermarket flywheel as long as it is apart. I'll take some thoughts and suggestions too if anyone has them.

Nigel Prodrive

Dirt surfer
this here is a classic case of the "Modded Scooby Arms Race."

you build up one area, which then exposes weaknesses elsewhere, which gradually exposes more mechanical weakness complicated by further serious weaknesses in your wallet.

full race 6-puck clutch is overkill in this situation unless you are actually racing. look for mildly upgraded clutch with increased clamping power like Exedy Stage One. this retains streetable clutch action/noise without turning your STI into herky jerky ricer racer when you are trying to pull up to the burglar king drive-thru

also forget lightened flywheel for a street car unless you actually enjoy stalling 3 times every mornin while the car ain't warmed up yet.

Last edited by a moderator:

WVMKWRX

Clutch Update: Just had an ACT street clutch & flywheel installed on the WRX, I must say there is a bit of chatter at first, but after the first couple of hundred miles that has already improved, and this clutch hooks up WAY better than the stocker, I wouldn't recommend it for everyone but I'm pleased with it. I did go with the somewhat lighter than stock ACT streetlight flywheel, which does require a bit of attention to keep from stalling and this could be the wrong choice for most people. I'm happy with the choice though, the engine is quicker to rev and therefore easier to match revs on the downshifts. I would really suggest that for most people the Excedy HD or the stock clutch & flywheel is sufficient and easier to live with. Performance modifications usually involve some trade-off, this was a good choice for me.

One additional modification I had performed while the trans was out was the addition of the STi group "N" trans mount. This was certainly OVERKILL, it gives new meaning to NVH! It improves the response especially on corner exit and I'm sure also improves acceleration, but unless you already have fairly loud exhaust to drown out the additional noise you are not going to enjoy this. I'm coming to terms with it, but consider this fair warning, and save the old mount you just may want to re-install it.

Ryan

It's all about how much power you're putting down. The OEM components are good up to 300-350tq. (depending on driving style too). You certainly don't need pucked clutches until you're up in the big boy range of power.

I ditched my Exedy Stg 1 organic clutch and 14lb flywheel for all dealership OEM components. To be honest, I didn't notice much of a difference with the Exedy components. On top of that, my setup chattered like all hell. Just ask anyone who drove in my car. It was so obnoxious to the point of ridiculous. I'm excited to go back to a chatter free setup, and I know the OEM components will be just fine for my power range of 300whp/325tq.

Latest posts

Back