coilovers or springs.....

Marino

I <3 BOOST
So lately I've been doing a lot of research on different springs/coilovers for my 05 WRX. This is something I'm planning on doing come spring/summer. My suspension is currently stock/monster truck status haha. Basically my goals are as follows:

NOT looking for a huge or slammed drop. I want to even out the wheel gap with a modest drop but still improving performance if possible.

Something that looks like this:

IMG_0565.jpg

If I get springs I would still like to be able to use my stock struts. I know that limits me to what I want to do. Some springs I've been looking into are the Mach V springs (leaning the most toward these because of great reviews), Eibach pro kit, and Epic Engineering springs. I know those might not go quite as low as I would like, but they cost much less than coils and might be the best in my case 
default_tongue.png

What I like about the thought of coilovers is the fact that they are obviously adjustable. The thing is, it seems DECENT coilovers are over $1000, which is a little more than what I want to spend. Seems like BC br coils are one of the best for the money. Also read about Racelands which seem to lower the car a lot for dirt cheap, but have seem some terrible reviews and experiences reading online. Any first hand experiences on these brands?

I'm trying to figure out what is the best thing to do in my situation, and would like your help
default_smile.png

Jamey

I have bc's love them a lot people say stay away from ricelands just remember you get what you pay for

Visonik

I've been looking into this as well... I was leaning more towards the Eibach pro kit, however, they lower about the max that most people seem to recommend with the stock struts. From what i've read on NASIOC, you shouldn't go more than an inch on stock struts, and that's pretty much the max. According to Eibach, their srpings lower 1.3 inches in the front and 1 in the rear. If you're just looking to close your wheel gap, i'd go with this set up. You don't want to go much lower than that with stock struts. Have you considered cutting your stock springs? You can take a little bit off that way, the only thing is it wont improve performance.

Ray

The Northernah'
I had a Eibach pro kit on stock struts, lowered the car about 1.5" but I noticed no real handling gains.

urabusturbo

+1 on bc's, I have a set in my legacy and I have no regrets. They are the best bang for the buck imo. Living in Maine sucks with a coilover suspension is risky but they make you a better driver because you will be watching for potholes everywhere.

Matt

I ran eibachs and bilsteins on my rs and they were good, lowered a bit but didn't notice a lot of difference in performance. Bought bc coil overs for the legacy and it was night and day. Coil overs are my choice.

Marino

I <3 BOOST
Thanks for the responses I appreciate it, seems like coils are the way to go. Looks like I'll be saving my money for a little while longer 
default_additional_sillylol.gif

Matt

never done autocross with them, dave has though. i did the dirt drive with my bc's and with a little fine tuning they were awesome......and i payed less than 700 for mine with 15k miles on them

default_wink.png

drunkinmonk

Wow my epic with gb were $300. I still need to purchase the koni struts which are going to be around $450. The spring/strut from a legacy for my inserts were $100 so I'll be right in that price range.

I just asked one of the autocross gurus on legacygt about it and he said I should go with epic/koni.

brycetron

Ive had two sets of coilovers for my lancer.  Ksport which didnt last long, and Megans which I have now.  Both were around the $1000 price range.  I will never buy coils again unless I can get some Ohlins or something high end that actually works properly.  I plan to get a good spring/shock combo for my STI instead of dealing with blown shocks, worn pillowball mounts on coilovers all the time.

Jamey

Isc. Are good too (think that's what there called ) my car will never see a autocross so my bc. Are perfect for me low in spring higher in winter and the handling is a huge difference from my tein springs I had

Last edited by a moderator:

Marino

I <3 BOOST
Yeah I never auto x my car either so I think the bc's will be perfect in my situation

once they are installed how long should I wait before getting an alignment, and do you need an alignment every time you adjust them? 

Last edited by a moderator:

Jamey

Yup I do at least 2. A year keeps your tires in shape and will tell you if any issues arise I do have a proublem with rear camber I need get adj rear arms hopefully tax time I'll bite the bullet they are kinda expensive

Latest posts

Back