coilovers

brycetron

I've had two sets of sub $1000 coilovers. Ksport pro control and Megan racing. The ksports only lasted a couple years and the Megan's are on their second year right now. Both ride harsh as hell and if you dont coat them in something, will decay to the point of being non adjustable after a couple winters. Also. Coilovers are fairly pricey to rebuild. Shocks were $150 each and pillow all mounts $50 each. Everything needed to be replaced on my ksports. Was cheaper to buy a whole new set which is what I did. I personally will never buy another set unless I can afford the nice ones. A nice spring/shock combo is the way to go IMO if you want handling for a daily driver. If you want stance on the cheap, cheap coilovers will do the trick. 

To clarify.  I only put 7k or so per year on my car.  Not a lot of miles for DD.  For the amount of $$$ ive had to spend on rebuilds and new coilovers.  I could have a nice spring/shock setup and not have to touch it for ages.

Last edited by a moderator:

roadtrip1098

I went straight up eBay with mine. Paid $420 shipped for them new in box... they have no distinguishing marks that say what they are, but the quality looks decent, the tops look like they're rebuildable. The ride is improved over my blown struts, and I would say is at least on par with my 06 STi running stock struts and TEIN springs. I did preload the springs to help the life of the shock, and I greased them up really well before installing, and made sure to check and re-check the torque on them.  I went with the softest spring rates I could find because I know the cheaper coil overs tend to be very stiff. We'll see how long they last, I don't really have very high expectations, only because of what I paid for them.

I've had Megans, a friend has TEINS, both sets are blown out. Not much you can do about it in Maine.

Visonik

I've decided to go ahead and get racelands. I don't need stance because I don't really care about that a whole lot and I don't need something that lasts forever, I just need something cheap to get me until next year or so. That gives me enough time to save up for some good suspension upgrades. Thanks for all the input!

roadtrip1098

I just ordered some fortune auto 500's for the STi never heard of them before, but they have stellar reviews. I ran Megans on my last setup and they were solid, but a little harsh. They held up well. Fortune Auto claims to have a digressive piston that increases ride quality without compromising on the handling. They go for $1100-$1200. I'll post up a review when they come in, but they're built to order with custom valving and spring rates, ect, so it may be a couple weeks before they come in. 

Latest posts

Back