Creaking in the rear.

Runnah

Ok so yesterday Pedro and I (mostly pedro) swapped out a suspected bad strut. The strut was blown, the performance increased after the new one was put in.

The only problem is that there is still a creak coming from that corner. Its only happens at low speeds of bumps. On the highway and anything over 40mph, no sound.

Now that the strut is not a culprit I am looking for other sources.

Bad bushing?

RedForester08

Runnah my 2007 wagon creaks the same way from the day I bought it and most of the time it is the rear hatch shade that makes the noise. Much more when it is cold. Just my .02. Remember it is an Impreza not a Cadillac. They are a little noisey from the factory.

mikebike357

shoot some grease on teh sway bushings and make sure your strut top bolts are tightened appropriately (14.5ft/lbs IIRC)

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
shoot some grease on teh sway bushings and make sure your strut top bolts are tightened appropriately (14.5ft/lbs IIRC)
they ended up a tad over that.. 25 ft/lbs (couldn't remember the spec)

mikebike357

you may wanna loosen 'em up a bit.... before they snap. That is, if 14.5, I actually think it's 14.7... is the correct torque for the RS.

Runnah - if you wanna swing by and use my torque wrench just give me a hollar.

EvilAsPie

you may wanna loosen 'em up a bit.... before they snap.
I've snapped a strut top mount stud before. They don't snap easy and usually while tightening not driving. Actually, now that i think about it the bushing will pull apart before those studs/nuts will snap. BTDT.
default_biggrin.png
:-[

14.7, 24, meh.

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
you may wanna loosen 'em up a bit.... before they snap.
I've snapped a strut top mount stud before. They don't snap easy and usually while tightening not driving. Actually, now that i think about it the bushing will pull apart before those studs/nuts will snap. BTDT.
default_biggrin.png
:-[

14.7, 24, meh.
purdy much. you can put 10ft/lbs down with a pinky. now if they were 80 then we would have a problem.

Evan

yeah, 25ft lbs on the 8mm bolt is nothing.

it might just be the fact that its a 100K+ 8 year old car. cars creak. chassis shells get old and flex more with age. maybe toss a weld in roll cage in there and see if that fixes it ;D

Rightseat

low speed bump creak at the rear could be a pooched bushing on the trailing arm...the big one like a rubber donut, it's the forward one on the TA. this can come from a hard impact (like hitting large metal debris on the highway
default_biggrin.png
) . the bushing is pretty easy to replace, you just need a press to get the old one out and the fresh one seated correctly in the trailing arm. check to make sure the round metal opening is still round and not "ovalized" from the impact.

also springs will make a clunk at rear is they re not seated just so on the spring perch. a certain 00 RS I used to know did this basically forever. :
default_biggrin.png

Rightseat

Toss out that Kenny G cassette and get some Rage Against the Machine... turn up volume... all rattles fixed.
Hendrix originated that fix YEARS ago, doods.
default_biggrin.png

umm, huh? did somebody say something? ???
default_biggrin.png

Runnah

Thanks for the advice NP I'll check out that bushing. Is it a "must us press" type job or will alternative means work?

Yeah the RS be clunking.

Latest posts

Back