Damned o2 sensor!!!!

diabloadsit

Well, to let you guys know for about a month now I have been fighting a problem on my car. I was trying to fix it because when someone buys it I don't want to give them a car that is not running 100% mint.

Well the problem was when the car was warm and up to temp. If i was to turn the car off run in somewhere real fast then come back out. Crank the car it would stumble all over itself. Like almost die stumble. Also, when I was travleing down the road and push the clutch in say to stop. The car every know in again would just die on me. Like no warning the rpms would drop down to 0 and then it would catch itself then it would come back up for a sec then fall again and car would die. No jerks or anything just die. I turn the key on with the clutch in and she would fire right up and I would keep going.

Also, upon first startup when car was cold you could smell the car running like super pig rich. Really really rich.

Well. the other day I picked up a new o2 sensor from Evergreen and slapped the puppy on. I figured back when my car had the stock motor and I was burning oil like it was nothing it pretty much toasted the stock one.

Well I was right. I installed the o2 sensor. Disconnected the battery so the car would have to relearn the air/fuel maps with the new o2 and she purrs like a kitten. I drove her around all the way to Portland and back and she runs mint. I would say she runs better then she has in a long time.

So any of you guys ever see a problem like I had check the o2 sensor. You may not have a CEL but it could be bad or reacting slugish due to age or ware.

drvsdwz

DRiVe SiDeWayZ
Well, to let you guys know for about a month now I have been fighting a problem on my car. I was trying to fix it because when someone buys it I don't want to give them a car that is not running 100% mint.

Well the problem was when the car was warm and up to temp. If i was to turn the car off run in somewhere real fast then come back out. Crank the car it would stumble all over itself. Like almost die stumble. Also, when I was travleing down the road and push the clutch in say to stop. The car every know in again would just die on me. Like no warning the rpms would drop down to 0 and then it would catch itself then it would come back up for a sec then fall again and car would die. No jerks or anything just die. I turn the key on with the clutch in and she would fire right up and I would keep going.

Also, upon first startup when car was cold you could smell the car running like super pig rich. Really really rich.

Well. the other day I picked up a new o2 sensor from Evergreen and slapped the puppy on. I figured back when my car had the stock motor and I was burning oil like it was nothing it pretty much toasted the stock one.

Well I was right. I installed the o2 sensor. Disconnected the battery so the car would have to relearn the air/fuel maps with the new o2 and she purrs like a kitten. I drove her around all the way to Portland and back and she runs mint. I would say she runs better then she has in a long time.

So any of you guys ever see a problem like I had check the o2 sensor. You may not have a CEL but it could be bad or reacting slugish due to age or ware.

is there something that you can use to clean it rather than buy a new one, like the maf sensor? i mean since it was mostly oil deposits? or was it really a bad sensor?

diabloadsit

is there something that you can use to clean it rather than buy a new one, like the maf sensor? i mean since it was mostly oil deposits? or was it really a bad sensor?
Not really. The sensor is a ceramic surounded by metal case with holes in it. Pretty much like cooking burgers on a grill and never cleaning it then everything gets baked onto the grill so it never comes off after awhile, no matter what you do.

Last edited by a moderator:

drvsdwz

DRiVe SiDeWayZ
Not really. The sensor is a ceramic serounded by metal case with holes in it. Pretty much like cooking burgers on a grill and never cleaning it then backing it in so it never comes off after awhile no matter what you do.

gotcha

MuddyWRX

Most solvents will destroy O2 sensors. I don't know about subies yet, but typically the upstream sensor (pre-cat) controls A/F ratios and the downstream checks to see if your cat is working properly. that's why you can "trick" the downstream one but not the upstream.

diabloadsit

Most solvents will destroy O2 sensors. I don't know about subies yet, but typically the upstream sensor (pre-cat) controls A/F ratios and the downstream checks to see if your cat is working properly. that's why you can "trick" the downstream one but not the upstream.
Ditto you nailed it. I believe the old one wasn't 100% just reacting sluggish so when it was warm and trying to idle it couldn't react fast enough for the A/F's so it was going rich and almost killing itself.

I have already noticed my gas milage going back to normal. Yay.

MuddyWRX

Ditto you nailed it. I believe the old one wasn't 100% just reacting sluggish so when it was warm and trying to idle it couldn't react fast enough for the A/F's so it was going rich and almost killing itself.

I have already noticed my gas milage going back to normal. Yay.
On my jeep I was experiencing a stumbling and rough idle on warm up, but once warm it ran perfectly. It turned out to be the upstream sensor heater. When the sensor was cold it would heat itself, and the heater was shorting to the sensor and making it do all kinds of funky things to the A/F. That one took most of a year to figure out.

It always feels good to have fixed something
default_biggrin.png

Latest posts

Back