Dancing Boost Gauge

WordWayne

I have a 2003 WRX. Whenever i am WOT the boost jumps between full boost (.1 Mpa) and about half boost (approx .05 Mpa). I have no idea what is going on. The needle stays steady at any other throttle position so I'm assuming it isn't a vacuum leak. There are no mods done. Any ideas would be helpful. Ask questions if you have any.

WordWayne

If there is a boost leak would the leak be able to seel again to build full boost before creating a leak again?

Also would a mod or an admin be able to move this to the Turbocharged Powertrain section? I accidentally put it in engine management.

Last edited by a moderator:

roadtrip1098

2 things could be happening.

1. You have a leak, either at a hose or the BOV that is able to hold up to a certain point before releasing, then reseals once the boost drops back down.

2. You're hitting some condition with either the knock sensor, or boost level, ect that causes a fuel cut.

Most likely it's #1.

Last edited by a moderator:

WordWayne

I don't believe it is the fuel cut because the rpm's continue to climb when it happens. Looks like I'll have an excuse to buy that GFB bov I've been eyeballing.

roadtrip1098

Keep in mind most fuel maps taper off boost at the higher RPM's, this wont cause boost gague dancing, but can create the appearance of a boost leak if you don't know what your boost targets are.

roadtrip1098

You can try pressure testing your piping and intercooler so you can verify it's the BOV. Remove the Intercooler,Ypipe, BOV and Intercooler to TOB coupling. Also make sure you have the turbo to intercooler piping. Plug off one end ( I used a spraypaint can in the TOB coupling) and then plug off the other end as best you can while still allowing room for you to pump in air.

You should be able to adjust your air compressor to about 25 psi, then pump in the air and listen for leaks.

Latest posts

Back