Discussion: Upgrading stock Thermostat - Opinions and Feedback

drvsdwz

DRiVe SiDeWayZ
So I've been looking at the Grimmspeed thermostat. $45 at Rally sport direct doesn't seem like a bad deal.

http://www.rallysportdirect.com/GrimmSpeed-160-Degree-Thermostat-Most-Subaru-Models

I'm looking at pros and cons for using this. 

Pro's

• Offers better cooling efficiency as it opens 25 degrees earlier (160)
  • If it fails, it fails in the open position, avoiding an engine overheating condition

Con's

• OEM thermostat opens at 185, so engine must obviously be designed to run at that temp?
  • Less heat in the winter

Basically, I want to know if this will have any adverse effects on the engine and other systems the cooling systems supports. If the engine parts were designed to operate at 185, what will an operating temp of 160 do?

This is open for discussion, but please be relevant to topic with opinions and experience.

Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:

WashmyScooby

My buddy did this on his S'Charged Vette and there wasn't a noticable difference in heat output from the heater. Of course, he really doesn't drive it in the winter though.

blmpkn

Pascifist Patriot
I ordered one with my new radiator and hoses, of course Infamous shipped me a mishimoto 160° for 01-07 wrx/sti instead of the grimmspeed one for my car
default_sleep.png
so i havnt gotten it istalled yet.

Matt

Mines stock and on my ride to work this morning, about 20 mins at 0 degrees I couldn't get the car all the way up to temp. I could come to a stop sign and accelerate and watch the temp gauge drop to cold. I'm thinking cardboard like the diesels.

roadtrip1098

Being that we (most of us) live in Maine, I wouldn't really see the need for it. If this was someplace that gets really hot then I'd think about it. Ultimately if you're not doing autocross or roadracing, you probably won't notice much of a difference.  Our cars can be run pretty hard and barely heat up... If you're seeing the temp gauge over half way regularly then you may want to think about it, but you'd also want to make sure the rest of your cooling system is up to snuff.

Latest posts

Back