DMV salvage title problem, any sugestions?

saucymonkey

So we sold our 1998 Subaru forester last week but now it looks like we have to refund the sellers money because the car has a salvage title and apparently it is not legal to sell a car with a salvage title in Maine. They want you to fill out a form signed by the shop that did the work so that it can be reclassified as reconstructed. The problem is that my wife bought the car in California 7 years ago and it already had a salvage title, its not possible to track down who did the work, and even if you could I'm sure they would not remember. This is so ridiculous, in two years it won't even need a title. Has anyone ever encountered this problem before and found a way around it? I thought about trying to claim the title as lost, but I have a feeling that would just get me a new salvage title. The only other thing I can think of is buying the title and vin number plates off someone with a parts car and switching it over, but that's pretty shady. I guess we could also try forging the form for the repair work, but it's pretty specific, they even want the vin #'s for the cars any used parts were taken from. Maine's title laws are so lax I can't believe we got pinched by this one dumb rule.

i-wagon

hate tpo break ot to you but I think they want titles for everything now after a certain model year. Or one of my coworkers is full of crap. Since its illegal to sell it in maine sell it iin new hampshire

SUBARUDE

yes anything 95 and newer now have to have a title but what I did was have a inspection station pass it for a sticker which means it safe for the road cause if it passes for a sticker then the repairs were done right and the state shouldn't have a problem with it

SUBARUDE

or you can have the state police come out and look at the car to give it a clean bill of health

saucymonkey

Yeah we just sold the car again, the guy was a "dealer" and seemed confident he could fix the title issue. Someone else who called about the car said any reputable shop could sign off on the work done. Its not our problem now but thanks for the responses.

Latest posts

Back