downpipe no accessport

robrex08

so, I bought a 3'' perrin downpipe a few months ago that replaces two cats with one, someone recently told me that if I dont get an accessport, something could go seriousely wrong... should I be concerned?

Fluffy282

Nah your mint. You'll get more out of it with a tune but it shouldn't hurt anything.

Last edited by a moderator:

drvsdwz

DRiVe SiDeWayZ
accessport isn't required but that or a tune will increase the longevity of your engine because:

1) the new downpipe creates different airflow dynamics causing the fuel mixture to become lean

2) can create overboost and boost creep conditions

if you aren't racing around town all the time you should be fine. but if you're like me and like to give it the pickle once in a while, you really should get it tuned

Last edited by a moderator:

IBratmanI

Subaru Ambassador- AdidaSubarus
Yeah don't run your car with that down pipe and no tune. You're asking for problems. But you don't need an Accessport, you can get an opensource tune. Either will work.

roadtrip1098

You can run it with no tune as long as you don't race it, and reset the ECU after installation. The ECU's in the 2008+ WRX have a pretty wide learning ability. You won't gain any power from it because your ECU will keep adjusting the wastegate duty cycles to hit your stock boost levels.  Just don't do a CAI with bigger exhaust and no tune, it will create nasty boost spike issues. Also if someone in your area has a Tactrix they can flash a generic Stage II map to your car and you should be plenty safe to drive it and get some power increases. As others have mentioned, getting a dyno tune is the only way to get the most out of your mods, but at stage II, I can't really justify the price tag. When you start playing with bigger injectors, ported heads, changing compression ratios, ect... Then get a dyno tune. 

IBratmanI

Subaru Ambassador- AdidaSubarus
Umm yeah but................these newer turbo Subarus, and it seems especially the 08+ WRX/STi, are kind of delicate when it comes to mods. I know I sure as hell wouldn't chance it without a tune. It's asking for motor problems if you ask me. Keep the stock down pipe until you get a tune.

hooligansti

Get a tune before running the pipe! 08+ cars have shitty tunes from the get go and you got the pipe for more punch so being light with your foot is out the window.

If you can't swing an accessport have a member with a tactrix cable and a clue, open source flash it with a stage 2 file and datalog it for you to make sure you're safe. It's really not a good idea to run it without a tune. I've seen a bunch of these 08+ spin bearings, melt cats etc. bone stock just from a good ripping. They should be tuned even when stock as they're tuned from the factory to pass emissions regs which causes them to run lean on boost onset and towards peak torque. Neither of which is good for engine longevity in a turbo car.

robrex08

so, I have someone that has an accesport, if I use it once, am I set until I do something else to the car?

brighton

Rally Fluffer
so, I have someone that has an accesport, if I use it once, am I set until I do something else to the car?
Yes and no. As long as its the correct model. (AP-SUB-003) and he is willing to give it to you. Because once an AP is "married" to an ECU it cannot be used on any other vehicle. He would have to un-marry from his car (if its in use). So he would be running OEM tune. Look in the classifieds most Are selling used AP for around $350. Or like other people said get an opens source tune. Check out our vendors. Some of them have deals once in a while.

Latest posts

Back