drag racing?

XDIRTYX

i know not many if any of you guys are into drag racing but im thinking about going to new england dragway tomorrow night for a few runs. ive got 4300+ miles and just had my oil changed for the 2nd time so ive been wanting to go. any tips on launching? car mags say redline dump but im not down with that. whats high enough i wont bog down? and i know wrx trannys suck yada yada
default_additional_iam.gif

Nate

Founding Father
yah..... 5k rpm dumps are no good.

feather your launches, because you will be spinning the tires. but work it, and keep your traction control off. controlling spin is still faster then letting the car take over.

have fun!

diabloadsit

You have to rev to 5.5k and feather it out. First time I launched my car right it scared the ever loving crap out of me.

Trevor723

try to blip the throttle between 4-4.5k let the clutch out slowly until you feel it start to grab, then pick up your foot as fast as you can and floor it.

LIFT UP YOUR FOOT AS FAST AS YOU CAN - DO NOT SIDE STEP THE CLUTCH!

If you bog then try again with a bit more rpm wash rinse repeat.

inski

Yeah like that. ^^^

You're trying for a little clutch slip, but a quick one. You can't just bang the power to little bitty gears, or they shear off. Like Trevor said, hold the rpms and brake, then when the tree hits the last yellow start getting off the clutch and a split second before you know (only you know that spot, its your car) its gonna move get all the way off the clutch and all the way down on the go pedal. Eventually you can do it all in .04 seconds.
default_smile.png

Pretty much just like on the street if you're trying to get off the traffic light quickly without spinning tires. As you get used to launch a bit of tire spin is ok, but you're already moving abruptly and all you'll get is a little chirp.

Trevor723

Also want to add for beginners:

The timer does not start with the lights, it starts when your tires break the beam. Worry about getting a clean launch and doing things properly, not having a .500 light. Bad reaction time will show on your slip but will have no effect on your ET or trap, and who gives a crap, you're not John Force racing for your next paycheck.

XDIRTYX

well my first and only run was 12.97@103
default_additional_jawdrop.gif
it was a perfect launch nailed the tree and didnt miss any gears. i said i wanted to run 12 anything so i said sweet im out!

MAINIAC XV

The Eco Man
well my first and only run was 12.97@103
it was a perfect launch nailed the tree and didnt miss any gears. i said i wanted to run 12 anything so i said sweet im out!
default_biggrin.png
Great time for a stage 2 car Jack. If you can refrain from doing anymore power mods your car should remain as reliable as stock

XDIRTYX

im sorry im a big lier, the track was closed for an event this weekend.
default_biggrin.png
i wanted to see if anyone would call my bluff. i went out thursday late night and tried a few launches in some empty parking lots, the first one went good, 2nd burning clutch
default_biggrin.png
im a little scared that im going to brake something. everyone says the 5-speed sucks but i cant imagine i could hurt anything with just stage 2?
default_biggrin.png

MAINIAC XV

The Eco Man
im sorry im a big lier, the track was closed for an event this weekend.
default_biggrin.png
i wanted to see if anyone would call my bluff. i went out thursday late night and tried a few launches in some empty parking lots, the first one went good, 2nd burning clutch
default_biggrin.png
im a little scared that im going to brake something. everyone says the 5-speed sucks but i cant imagine i could hurt anything with just stage 2?
default_biggrin.png
default_biggrin.png
:D

STInate

Baxley’s Speed Shop
You shouldnt have any problem running a time like that. I was running mid 12's at stg 2 on my sti. God I miss those days.

XDIRTYX

i used my ap 1/4 mile tracker,

60' 2.1

0-60 4.7

1/4 13.3

@ 105.65mph

i dont know how accurate it is but that's not too bad, it was on a cold back road at like 11pm

Latest posts

Back