dual range swap on 95 impreza wagoon

kblood477

hey guys , iv been thinking about getting my impreza outback out for winter and i really want to try the gl tranny swap has anybody done this?

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
If you go on http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/ and look around, you'll find many people who have done the swap.

I haven't swapped one into an EJ car, but I have a GL that has that transmission. It's pretty nice, but it's not AWD. It's fwd/4wd.

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
Those are AWD, so no locked center diff, and they don't have as low a low range.

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
I use it for driving through the woods using my car as a skidder... Sometimes if it's really snowy and I'm trying not to dig holes. But then that car has a long first gear, 3.90 final gears, and big tires. So with a normal car you're gonna be fine. Also, I have an 80hp engine. ENGINE, that's like 50whp.

What are you planning to do with it? I suggest just drive it and have fun.

IBratmanI

Subaru Ambassador- AdidaSubarus
Dual range is the shit. It makes a huge difference, and would help a lot if you wanted to offroad your car at all. But the swap is somewhat involved on a new gen. do you have a dual range transmission already?

kblood477

i dont have a duel range .i treat my impreza like a jeep so it goes everywhere. im just going to end up with a 411 or lower if i can fin one

IBratmanI

4.44 would obviously be the best, but still won't see a lot of difference in low speed offroading. You should search for a dual range, and swap it in!

IBratmanI

Yeah dual range isn't super low, but it's low enough to make a big difference! I have a tranny. Not sure if I want to get rid of it though. But cash talks of course.

kblood477

oh you have one ???. hmmm. iv bean reading and its saying al you really need is the adapter plate . and to re drill the fly wheel . i dont get why you would need to re drill it cause you can use the ej flywheel

IBratmanI

You can't use the EJ flywheel because you need to use the Clutch to match the transmission, so you need to use the matching flywheel too.

IBratmanI

The clutch disc splines are the same, but where the pressure plate bolts on isn't, it has to be the clutch and flywheel for the dual range.

Latest posts

Back