e-brake help

Qsubarusti

i know this is probably an easy question to answer but im not much of a mechanic or anything but my e-brake pulls up to easily, and when its initiated my car still rolls back. any idea on what it is?...i thought it might of been something in the master cyclinder or maybe my rear brake pads are starting to go (according to a friend)

Nigel Prodrive

Dirt surfer
stretched or corroded cable

worn brake shoes (e-brake ass'y is old fashioned drum setup, no wheel cylinder) realize that your brake master cyl has no bearing on the e-brake which is 100% mechanical

cable can be adjusted at the e-brake handle (remove plastic surround to reach the 2 cables which adjust w/10mm wrench) if you tighten e-brake here, make sure you don't overdo it so the brake drags when handle is released

shoes adjust with a strange sort of pry-bar adjuster thru obscure holes in rear brake backing plates...a job probly best left to an experienced tech

Qsubarusti

stretched or corroded cable

worn brake shoes (e-brake DONKEY'y is old fashioned drum setup, no wheel cylinder) realize that your brake master cyl has no bearing on the e-brake which is 100% mechanical

cable can be adjusted at the e-brake handle (remove plastic surround to reach the 2 cables which adjust w/10mm wrench) if you tighten e-brake here, make sure you don't overdo it so the brake drags when handle is released

shoes adjust with a strange sort of pry-bar adjuster thru obscure holes in rear brake backing plates...a job probly best left to an experienced tech
I don't have drums....I got the brembos srry if I forgot to mention that

IBratmanI

Subaru Ambassador- AdidaSubarus
You still have drums for the e brake. Under that rear disc, there is a drum brake assembly that is for the e brake, so Nigel is right on his description.

Latest posts

Back