ECU Q&A

Mr Mike

Ok... I'll admit it.. I know nothing... lol ;D

I heard all about re-flashed stuff and installing whole computers that you can tune with a lap top... variable this and that.. anti lag.. so on and so forth....

As a mechanic I have worked with OBD 1 in the land/range rovers, done scans and adjusted values, but I am far from a "tuner" are there any good sites that explain this new stuff?? I need to get caught up.... the last thing I really tuned for power was a CIS VW lol

granted my magic worked, but that's sooooo yesterday....

I need to get brained up on multi port injection and coil packs, reflashed, reused and refried.... please help... I'm behind the times and feel silly ???

thanks....

the ashamed... Mr.Mike :'(

Mike, there's an engine management forum over at http://www.nasioc.com

Good stuff in there.

Basically, there are two options, with tiers within each.

1.) Standalone ECU: Companies like Link, Motec, Autronic, Haltech, Electromotive, GEMS, Hydra Nemesis etc. These are often used by us rally guys(when we can). They allow us to have features like launch control, flat shifting and anti-lag.

2.) Reflashed ECUs: EcuTech, Accessport, etc. These are either reflashed remotely-you send your ECU in and they send you the flashed one back, or you have your car tuned via laptop and then flashed. This is obviously preferably to sending it away.

I was just at Belknap Subaru in NH today. They are upgrading a new STi with a bunch of stuff that Rallispec has already put on a local car to them(in New Jersey). Even though the car is in NH, they're going to flash the ECU and send it back for installation up here because they've already done the tuning work with that set of components in their shop.

Anyway, lots of stuff out there, some better than others. Read about it, then read some more before opening your wallet! ;-)

Cheers! John

Mr Mike

I can open my wallet all I want. there is nothing in it at the moment, so no harm in opening it LMAO

Thanks for the info though, I'll figure out all this modern engine stuff soon enough. Its tuff to pull one self from the Land Rover stone age

Mikey

Mr Mike

Dyno day will be good for me. I have been reading up and learning a lot. It will be good to ask questions in person and see how things work. Thanks for all the replys guys!!!

Latest posts

Back