EGT sensor by-pass

Shorty

Evergreen Auto Spa
I'm running an STI up-pipe on my 02 WRX. The car runs an EGT sensor, the up-pipe doesn't. There must be a by-pass/fix for this, but I don't know what it is. Does anyone out there know? The car runs fine, but it finally threw a CEL last night for it.

Rightseat

try the old "1.5-ohm resistor bridged over the white and black terminals of the chassis-side plug" fix.

worst that could happen is that you'd gain 45 whp! >
default_wink.png

Shorty

Evergreen Auto Spa
I've read that the sensor can come apart, shooting pieces into your turbo causing loss of boost
default_tongue.png

I saw it on NASIOC but, I hate NASIOC.

mikebike357

I've also heard that similar story about having a failing cat in the stock wrx uppipe that blows apart and causes a loss of boost. I think it's just a justification to teh wife/girlfriend to get a catless uppipe for a lot of people as if it were truely an issue Subaru would not put a catted uppipe in the wrx.

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
I've also heard that similar story about having a failing cat in the stock wrx uppipe that blows apart and causes a loss of boost. I think it's just a justification to teh wife/girlfriend to get a catless uppipe for a lot of people as if it were truely an issue Subaru would not put a catted uppipe in the wrx.
They don't... anymore.

they fail fast when you bump up the performance (STI=no cat uppipe) but in stock form they fail eventually as well.

Shorty

Evergreen Auto Spa
that's what I heard. I've just turned over the 100k mark and it made me nervous to have it in there.

Plus I didn't want the cat to fail and flip on my CEL :
default_tongue.png

ralli

I've read that the sensor can come apart, shooting pieces into your turbo causing loss of boost
default_tongue.png

I saw it on NASIOC but, I hate NASIOC.
I've heard that too....

The main funtionality (or at least I thought) was to make sure that the cat didnt melt. Once you remove the cat, i've heard its actually not nearly as hot right there....

In my ECU map I just have that particular code turned off. The Resistor mod is actually what I've heard to fix the EGT only.. if haven't heard it used for anything else...

Trevor723

Quoted from the NASIOC you all hate:

What is the CEL fix? 2.2 KOhm 1/2 watt resistor. These are available at Radio Shack and are usually in stock. $1 buys you 6 of them. You place it in the EGT connector, which is the bottom connector just forward of your passenger side strut tower. It only has two holes, so jam one end of the resistor into each. If you do not use this resistor, you will probably end up with the CEL code P0546 = Exhaust Gas Temperature Sensor Circuit Malfunction (High Input).

Shorty

Evergreen Auto Spa
I just close the hood. Outa site, outa mind.

Radio Shack in Auburn doesn't carry resistors. Now I gotta cross the bridge and go to Lewiston someday.

Latest posts

Back