EJ25 short block in Portland

diabloadsit

So you can learn some about the codes the 903 is the casting number. Also, the AB on one side and the AB on the other side means that you have 2x A pistons and 2x B pistons.

The piston to wall clearnence is tighter on the A side than the B. I guess the best block to get is a AA AA block the next best is a BB BB. If all the pistons match each other than its a really good thing.

This pretty much applys to all subaru motors.

diabloadsit

the diffrence between the A and B is like nothing really. Most I have read was like .001

Far as I know I think Honda does something similar.

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
I still don't get the point as to why they'd have two different kinds of pistons that were slightly different.

Taiden

that's really interesting about the ABAB thing.

Block sold on ebay a few weeks ago. Sorry North Ursula

diabloadsit

You have to look at it like this. the machineing process when making millions of the same part are not always going to be 100% the same. So they clasify them. A being a (perfect) pistons. and B for being a lil out of spec but still good to use. Like I said the diffrence is like nothing.

diabloadsit

Taiden what did you sell the block for if you don't mind me asking. I will be selling my EJ257 from my 2006 sti soon and want to get a good price on it.

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
You have to look at it like this. the machineing process when making millions of the same part are not always going to be 100% the same. So they clasify them. A being a (perfect) pistons. and B for being a lil out of spec but still good to use. Like I said the diffrence is like nothing.
True. Point taken on that. But then the markings would be on the pistons not on the block. Unless the block too has minor differences. Not that it matters much, that's part of why there are piston rings.

GClark

Don't suppose you still have this, do you? I spun bearings in my TS last night, and I just put headgaskets in the damn thing 3000 miles ago. I hate this car but need it running again
default_lost.gif

Is this the North Ursalia from NASIOC?

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
Taiden what did you sell the block for if you don't mind me asking. I will be selling my EJ257 from my 2006 sti soon and want to get a good price on it.
I thought you blew that one up...

diabloadsit

True. Point taken on that. But then the markings would be on the pistons not on the block. Unless the block too has minor differences. Not that it matters much, that's part of why there are piston rings.
They also mark the pistons along with the block. That way you don't have to pop the heads to know what the pistons are. If you take apart your block and scrap the top of the pistons you will uncover a A or B marked on them.

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
They also mark the pistons along with the block. That way you don't have to pop the heads to know what the pistons are. If you take apart your block and scrap the top of the pistons you will uncover a A or B marked on them.
Intriguing! Thanks for the information!

Taiden

yeah, what's North Ursula doing on here?
default_smile.png

I ended up gettin $275 for it and spend $90 on shipping. Not bad for a motor I pulled out of the scrap pile at a subie dealership.

North Ursalia

Yeah it's me- I'm here because someone pointed me this way back a few weeks ago. My dad spun a bearing in his Forester, and I was looking for a block for him. I found one close to work, but I spun a rod bearing in my TS two days ago, so I took dad's block for my car and now I have to find him another. If anyone knows of a decent shape 2.5 NA block (his engine has 296k miles on it, so a 200k block in running order is fine even) please let me know.

Taiden

as you have probably noticed I have a EJ22E motor with 60k miles on it. It's no 2.5 but it would get the job done.

Latest posts

Back