engine possibly blown

KamB

Kam Berry
Yes, lack of coolant on **SOME*** motors can raise idle significantly, but I doubt to 4k. See what it pulls for vacuum. I would say anything above 15? Is normal, though at 15 i would call it low. My ranger pulls above 20 and never tested the forester.

If I was you, I would fill it with coolant, check what it pulls for vacuum with a guage and go from there. I have a guage and a shop in windham if you would like to utilize it.

Your ranger should pull more then a normal vehicle due to the turbo pulling in more air then a n/a engine. In general a naturally aspirated engine doesn't drop much below ambient to accomplish pulling in the air it needs to. 

Kam: What does your gauge read in? I am assuming its in Hg. That is the common standard for vacuum. If so then 29.92" is a perfect vacuum.

KamB

Kam Berry
Your ranger should pull more then a normal vehicle due to the turbo pulling in more air then a n/a engine. In general a naturally aspirated engine doesn't drop much below ambient to accomplish pulling in the air it needs to.
Kam: What does your gauge read in? I am assuming its in Hg. That is the common standard for vacuum. If so then 29.92" is a perfect vacuum.
Rangers should be normal since the throttle plates closed

I've never seen that high on one so maybe my numbers are skewed seeing as all my motors are old/ beat hell lol

chappie

Update: Added coolant to the engine, car came down a bunch but still around 1500 rpm and hunts. I can hear quite a large air leak, and I'm assuming that it is the gaskets because engine smooths out when accelorant is sprayed at the base of the intake on the drivers side. I'm going to buy some different gaskets and try that out. Other than that the car runs mint! Thanks again for the input it has been very helpful

chappie

Another Update: Changed intake gaskets and the car runs awesome no surging, took it for a test spin today. No issues at all engine wise!! I need to weld the exhaust back together, then I should be good to go! Thanks again for all the help!

Latest posts

Back