Example of bad stock bushings

2point5RS_Dan

HATER DAN
Chris plated some trailing arms and gave them to me for the RS. I hit them with some paint to keep the rust monster away.

Taking the trailing arm bracket off today, because I'll be moving my TiC bushings over, I noticed how trashed the stock bushings were and made this video:

That is a crap ton of play. The origional WRX is 11 years old and the first RS is now 15 years old.

Every time you step on the gas or brakes, those bushings have to load or unload.

Turn in Concepts replacement poly bushings:

http://turninconcepts.com/product_info.php?cPath=1_9_10_1355_1380_1383&products_id=1149

Also, when you do go to replace the bushings, sometimes the metal sleeve in the bushing like to fuse to the bolt themselves:

IMG_20130608_164655.jpg

Sawzall bolt, burn out bushing.

Spiller1327

Dan do u use all "race" bushings? I'm not sure weather to go with the race or comfort bushings. Comfort is better than stock at least?

2point5RS_Dan

HATER DAN
Yes, all race in the RS.

I'm pretty sure subaru sells replacement stock bushings.

Next up is the Turn in Concept comfort/enthusiast, its the gray compound that is squishier. It will damp some vibration.

Then Turn in Concepts Race, which is the black compound.

Soft to hard: stock -> comfort/enthusiast (gray) -> race (black)

The trialing arm bushings are an amazing changer on a 10 year old car.

I did the race versions on my RS after replacing the trans, motor, and diff mounts trying to find my drivetrain slack.

Last edited by a moderator:

2point5RS_Dan

HATER DAN
Think about it this way.

When you press on the gas, every thing in the car that has play in it, like in the video, has to shift from whatever neutral position it is at (the bolt in the middle of the bushing) to loaded (same idea as me moving the thing with my hand).

If you have a car with mounts and bushings that are moving around, that is going to cause a delay in power or braking. Replacing that bushing with a poly one will cause your inputs to be more direct, moving the loading and unload time. There was a noticable delay on my RS when I'd get on the gas or brake before I did all that crap. Now it is instant and scary.

Also I've been working on cars all day and did not explain that well. I'll MS paint something later or something.

Latest posts

Back