exhaust job

jbskidude

hey guys looking to make my impreza sound nice and throaty like a rally car not a fart can. my bro has a wrx and just took the muffler out and welded on pipes from there back. i have a 95 impreza with a 2.2 engine will just taking the muffler out make it sound nice or do i need more?

Mark

it will make it sound awful. the low rumble you hear in wrx/sti is part boxer, part unequal length headers. you are lacking the unequal length headers. the most i'd do on a 2.2 is have a stock wrx or sti cat back put on. NO GUTTING. you'd need to rotate the stock flanges, but it would fit otherwise.

GClark

it will make it sound awful. the low rumble you hear in wrx/sti is all turbo. . To get that boxer rumble you need a turbo.
fixed
default_tongue.png

jbskidude

well putting on wrx or sti parts sounds exspensive and that's not in the budget. so what would it sound like if i just delete the muffler? in between fart can and rally throaty?

Mark

a straight pipe on a 2.2? it would sound like a 1995 impreza with a massive exhaust leak

GREASEMONKEY

--Powered By A.D.H.D.--
i agree with mark... i have a 2.5 gt i just ran a 2002 wrx axle back with my stock cats, also a cold air intake.. and got a great sound. not to ricy!! and i don't get pulled over all the time...lol .you can usly pick up the stock wrx axle backs from forum members for quite cheap i think i payed 40 bucks for mine...

boxer3main

<1.8 liter
there is math for every engine.

it has never been correct for anybody...

compression ratio, 2 valve or four, deck clearance, type of headgasket, sedan or wagon side exit or not, single fire, double fire, spark volts, iron plugs or iridiums or platinums..wires, direct fan or electric, outaide intake air or under the hood..two row copper radiator or 1 row aluminum...

10% ethanol or nitromethane diesel...

a chamber calming the volume to your exact engine is the bassy rumble. have fun experimenting. and don't go open chambers, it is all a hoax. Even a lawnmower could sound badass and idiot with open chambers.

GREASEMONKEY