Exhaust Laws: Anyone ever been pulled over?

blehhh

I'm really wanting to pull the trigger on an exhaust for my 2012 WRX hatchback, but I'm wondering if anyone has ever been pulled over or ticketed for an aftermarket exhaust? The laws are pretty vague, especially since you can get the SPT exhaust from the factory. My friend has the SPT exhaust on his 2011 WRX sedan and I decided this weekend that the SPT is too quite for me; I think my car is actually louder with all of the mounts, bushings, inserts, etc.

I've been considering picking up a used N1 exhaust (Tsudo, CNT, Invidia, Greddy, etc) for cheap, but those are the loudest type.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:

Jamey

Depends on how much of d-bag the cop wants be , I live in Hollis. And go thru buxton frequently never a problem. And buxton pd is Horrible I did have a standish cop spin around and follow me for some time but never pulled me over

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
I know somebody is going to jump down my throat. But why?

Loud exhausts get droney in the car and suck on long drives, why make a nice car uncomfortable with an obnoxious exhaust system..

My experience, don't drive like you have a loud exhaust and excessively rev the engine. Freeport PD is pretty picky from what I have been told. The kid in a civic with a fart can in front of me was pulled over simply because it was apparent. I on the other hand have passed multiple cops and my exhaust is noticeably louder but not obnoxious and I try to keep it on the quite side.

blehhh

I know somebody is going to jump down my throat. But why?

Loud exhausts get droney in the car and suck on long drives, why make a nice car uncomfortable with an obnoxious exhaust system..
Not all exhausts drone, even if they are loud at WOT. The stock quad tip system on the 2011+ WRX is weezy at best, (no rumble at all), and heavy as hell.

Matt

the way i understand it and i dont even know if im inspecting them right still is that any exhaust can not be modified to be louder than stock regardless if its below the 96db level, so basically its illegal to do anything to it. As far as spt i would say that's legal because its a factory option, much like the trd line for the toyotas and scions. Now i find myself to be lenient as an inspector and usually only fail when tires/brakes/suspension items and what not....the safety side are effected...i dont care about the exhaust systems, rim and tires etc....its about being safe, some inspectors are like me, some are by the book. no one inspects cars like they should!!

KamB

Kam Berry
My Subies straight piped to a little muffler and loud and no trouble yet. I had a truck earlier this year that was straight piped out the passenger side so it was loud for cops on the side of the road.. And I never got pulled over, because it was a huge truck so I couldn't go fast or do a**hole moves... I'd agree that it's all how you drive. Plus if its a 5 speed just coast past the cops and you could have it off the headers and not have trouble...

Craig

yeah i have been pulled over twice for my exhaust but not ticketed! so i cant really drive my RS threw thomaston! but both times the cop didnt sctually hear it they just saw that it was modified!

i-wagon

I have catless uel headers and s dynomax ultra-flo spray bombed black (stealthy) and a stainless tip. It isn't real loud, but I don't drive hard in town where the cops hang out. 5 years of aftermarket exhaust, only pulled over with this car once and that was.for passing on the right (if only people would travel in the travel lane)

Nigel Prodrive

Dirt surfer
if your exhaust is loud enough to draw attention, you are opening yourself up to the officer's judgement about "loud" and "too loud." It's basically a great excuse to get pulled over, esp when you are doing some other a**hat thing like revving, pulling redline, doing donuts etc. I got pulled over in Quebec for loud exhaust in a turbo Foz. The trooper said, "well it may not be illegal in Maine but it sure is here and you aren't' going anyplace until you get it fixed." I sat by side of road for an hour in the sleet while officer frigged around on the radio and finally get let go with a lecture. That Foz was stupid loud. With my other Scoobs running SPT exhaust, never a problem.

Have had SPT exhausts on a couple of WRXs now, and they are rumbly without being a pain in the ears on highway cruises. Invidia types are for ppl with hearing probs....either you're so deaf you can't hear the SPT, or you will be deaf after 10k of fart-can concertos.

PS--There's a certain white RS here in Rockland that's so loud that when he drives by my office, it makes the building shake. No wonder he's got pulled over.

TylerB488

Exactly Dan. if you not being stupid they wont pull you over, if you are "aggressively accelerating" they could pull you over but i have never had a problem. knock on wood!

blmpkn

Pascifist Patriot
I drove around for 2 weeks with the exhaust on my obxt cut off at the y pipe. About 1000 miles of no hassle.its all about how you drive and how the cop (if you get pulled over) is

RedForester08

USDM Genome on my 06 2.5i, 1st gear pull in an abandoned mill tunnel. Sounded AWESOME. Stop at the end and 3 cops watching the new paved road for street racing. Startled them. Left the car running. they all walked to the back of the car first. Then just a few question as to why we where there and why they were there. Fortunately not related but at an normal engine rpm it was very mild. So I agree with Nigel and Dan's point it is all up to you and your right foot.

WashmyScooby

I drive through Portland, Scarborough, Westbrook and Gorham all the time and no issues. I just picked an exhaust that was fairly mild until I really got into it.

Ryan

I have in Brunswick for my Cobb exhaust (lol really now). The officer was such a jerk. He actually threatened me saying the next time he sees me around here I better have my OEM unit back on. He didn't ticket me, surprisingly....

Latest posts

Back