Feeler: 2001 Forester S

Fozzy

How's it going everyone, the time to upgrade my vehicle is approaching quickly so it's time for me to start exploring some options on getting rid of my forester. mileage is 172k

The bad:

- Now i'm not going to lie, the rust gods have not been to friendly to me over the past year. The rear hatch is in rough shape and the rear wheel wells are getting rusty.

- The gas gauge shows an empty tank all the time since the fuel sender unit (is what i believe it's called) has an issue.

- There is a knocking coming from the front left wheel well when taking left turns.

- Check engine light code for knock sensor.

- Rear wiper doesn't work.

This was my first car and its always gotten me from point A to point B, but it's definitely time to get something in better shape since i'm planning on driving to Utah next fall for an internship. I'm obviously not looking to make a killing here, but a little bit of money towards a new car would be a huge help. I'm also open to trades. This forester would make for a great winter beater or it could turn out to be a decent project to fix up.

Let me know if you're interested or want to see pics.

Last edited by a moderator:

injulen

If the knock sensor the only thing throwing a CEL you should throw a cheap eBay replacement in there. I think it's less than ten bucks and take about 5 minutes to replace. It'll help sell the car if the CEL isn't on and you might see better fuel mileage in the meantime.

The knocking sound while turning is probably a bad CV axle and you don't want that to fail on you while you're going down the road so if you're going to be driving this for awhile more you should replace that too.

scoobiesforlife

the knock sensor and cv axel are fairly easy to do, as long as you have a 32mm socket to get the castle nut loose. i always end up undoing the strut from the knuckle to remove the axel...roll pin punches help as well to get the pin out.

Latest posts

Back