First Subaru Need Some Help

Bames86

Hey, Just picked up my first subaru, Got a 2005 legacy gt. Im in need of a short block. Any suggestions of where to pick one up?

drvsdwz

DRiVe SiDeWayZ
Bad news, if they're telling you that you need a shortblock, chances are you may need the heads and turbo too.

If you can't find a shortblock in the classifieds here, you can check nasioc's classifieds or have a reputable shop like granite state dyno in NH rebuild it for you.

I'm also going to move this to the want to buy section.

And last but not least, WELCOME!

Bames86

Thanks guys,

The head and turbo were takien off the block. Everything look goods so far.Would it be better to just go full used motor or get a new short block and put it all back together? Turbo has about 2500 miles on it.

boxerboost

I think evergreen can supply you with a fully assembled STi short block for like under $2,000 if you're looking to build fresh.

drvsdwz

DRiVe SiDeWayZ
if he does that, he'll also need a tune(lower compression pistons)

if he gets a replacement block, he'll need nothing

Bames86

I'm more looking for a replacement block. I'm not looking to put out a lot of power. Going for more reliability.

if he does that, he'll also need a tune(lower compression pistons)

if he gets a replacement block, he'll need nothing

I am looking for just a replacement block. I'm not trying to put out high power. Any idea roughly the pricerange for that? Rebuilt/New? Thanks for the help I appreciate it.

Bames86

Just an update on this. motor is stripped down and ordered the new short block today. Upgraded to full drilled and slotted rotors. and painted the wheels.. Not a big deal just a preference thing. Motor should be in within a few days and hopefully have it running within a week or two. Thanks for all the input. 

RyanR

///|||\\\|||///|||\\&#092
How do the cam journals look? Lots of times those are smoked and new heads/cams are needed.

If they look ok, have the heads professionally cleaned. Replace anything else on the motor that touches oil, including the oil cooler.

You don't want to do this twice.

Visonik

I had a lot of trouble finding a non turbo 2.2 block.. I had to get one from the dealer. Also, with my experience I needed new heads, not a turbo though. Good luck with your search!

Bames86

Hey! just an update on everything. Well after replacing the clutch and a list of other things that i didnt want to have to deal with 6 months down the line. Also buying a house that put the project on hold. However i was able to start the car last night and it runs great. First subaru I've owner so it was a stressful but good time goign thru everything. Thanks everybody for the tips and input on the project. I appreciate it!

Bames86

Just snapped my rear u joint on my drive shaft. If anyone has a spare they want to part with that would be great. Thanks

Latest posts

Back