Flywheel

Tyler

Can anyone tell me the stock flywheel weight? 98 OBS

I'm probably using Peter's for my swap, but I found one that is 18lbs ... I can't find a true lightweight one that isn't under $500 so I was wondering how much of a difference this one was from stock.

EvilAsPie

Can anyone tell me the stock flywheel weight? 98 OBS
Heavy!

default_biggrin.png

Tyler

haha, so not 18 lbs? Would it be worth getting this one. I'm gunna order it today, so I guess if it's almost half I might as well do it.

akinaspeedstar

pros and cons to the LWF, hey theres another TLA, haha.

engine will gain revs faster and lose revs faster, and become more responsive to throttle inputs.

the down side is you need to be that much faster and precise in your shifts. especially down sifts. granted this is all relative to the weight of the flywheel. with a light weight, in the time it takes you to push the clutch and shift and let it back out the RPM's are going to fall more and faster then they would on a heaver flywheel. with down shifts you don't have the weight of the flywheel to cushion the revs as you down shift so you need to be more precise then you would on a normal one. granted your not going to a 10lb one or anything extream so it's not going to be hard to drive or anything, but it will be noticeable.

we but a 18lb one in my friends dsm, while a blast to drive on a twisty back road, in town traffic it became much harder to drive.

in my opinion ( for what it's worth to some people) i wouldn't bother with it. i would just have the stock one resurfaced. but if you want that throttle responce and faster reving engine, and don't mind spending the money or having it be a little harder to drive then a stock one go for it.

some light reading to back that up. not that anyone cares

http://www.ducati.net/faq.cfm?id=44 for sport bikes, but the concept is pretty much the same

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2460195 vw's but yeah.

http://www.my330i.com/mod19.php bmw see above

EvilAsPie

I wouldn't recomend resurfacing old one if you decide to go with stock. Not the best idea.
Why not? Wouldn't you want a new clutch to be mated to a flesh flywheel surface?

Subarus, especially turbo ones, take very well to heel-toe down shifting. If you did go with a LWF it wouldn't be that bad to learn to drive it, even with out learning heel-toe. But in traffic it sure is fun!

Tyler

Well, I know how to drive a stick, but this will be my first vehicle that I'll be driving everyday that's a stick. I'm gunna have to get used to it anyway, so I guess I might as well do it now.

internalcombust

You would definately want a new surface for teh new clutch, but that should come from a new flywheel. In my opinion resurfacing an old flywheel on some cars just isn't a good long term solution. If money is supertight you can get by with it, if the there is enough material to remove.

OEM Flywheel Thickness - This puts the physical location of clutch, in relation to release bearing, back to factory specifications. Resurfaced flywheels move the clutch farther away from the release system and can cause a no-release or poor release condition. Using a new flywheel usually cures release problems associated with hydraulic release systems where the flywheel thickness has been reduced too much due to resurfacing. Also, excessive flywheel resurfacing can weaken the flywheel.

Proper Run-Out - Improper run-out can be caused by misaligned resurfacing methods. If the crankshaft flange is not referenced properly during resurfacing, the friction surface will not be perpendicular to the crankshaft flange. This causes a two-fold problem. It can cause chatter (from misalignment) and a possible unbalance vibration.

New Flywheel = New Starter Ring Gear - This gives the starter drive/bendix a brand new mating surface to mesh with when cranking the vehicle.

these are just a few reasons.

EvilAsPie

So i guess it would depend on the condition of the used FW, the reputability of the machine shop to do it right, money, and future plans for the car.

Thanks for the info.

How would this change for a cable setup?

L-town

I figure if you're gonna start on a stick again why not just get used to a LW instead of getting used to a Heavy FW and then later have to get used to a LW, do it first get it over with.

Latest posts

Back