FS: 2002 OBS, blown engine

Iboc_C64

FYI everyone, my buddy lost the timing belt tensioner in his 2002 OBS. Ruined his engine in about 30 seconds as he drove down the highway. The car has about 180,000 miles on it and he used it like a truck to haul supplies for his painting business and he has a dog so the interior is in pretty rough shape. The exterior is it fair shape, only 1 or 2 fair size dents and no real rust. The front bumper was replaced and the paint shop sucked so about 45% of the silver paint on the front bumper is missing. The suspension and powertrain from the transmission back are still good. If someone is looking for a wagon shell for play or for a starter rally car, this might fit the bill. He was going to part it out but I offered to see if anyone wanted it for a side project first. Make an offer if your interested and I will let him know. He is on the lookout for a new vehicle now, I know he wants a Forester XT but if you have something else that he could use to hall paint supplies in with a messed up interior he may be interested. Let me know, Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

Iboc_C64

Its a 5 speed, not sure how much but had a PM offer already and he seemed to think $400 was a little low, but I reminded him that it would cost around $1000 for an engine and with a working engine with the interior in ratty dog scratched shape and dried paint in the carpet it was only worth around $1400 to $1600. He said he was going to look in to what the shop wanted to do with it, which is scrap the valuable metals like the Catalytic converter and the shell and sell the good parts. He seemed to think that the CV cores, the Cat, the new fuel pump, radiator, radiator hoses, and the brand new timing belt and tensioner put the value near $1000. Like I said though, he is looking in to it. he just put in a new timing belt and tensioner yesterday to see if the engine was wrecked or not. He has enough money to put a significant downpayment on a new vehicle too, so he isn't hurting for money. The struts and running gear and powertrain aside from the engine are in good shape.

IBratmanI

Subaru Ambassador- AdidaSubarus
Subaru cats aren't worth hardly anything. He may get more for it parting it out, but there is quite a bit involved in that, and it's quite time consuming. If the motors weren't so pricey to replace, the car would be worth more, but as you stated, they cost a lot. And new parts on a dead car, do not add much value, they do no good without a working motor. No insult meant at all by this, just pointing out facts. GLWS!!

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
As bratman said, parting out a car takes for ever and it's a pain. Get ready to answer a lot of questions and have a ton of people flake out.

FWIW, I got my 2nd gen legacy for $400 with a blown engine. It was in otherwise pretty much perfect condition. Immaculate interior. NO RUST!!!!!! Only one dent in a front fender.

Iboc_C64

Yeah, I thought $400 was an OK offer, but he will find out when he calls the scrap yard later if its worth what he thinks, maybe he will reconsider. I certainly don't feel like tearing in to it for the parts myself and I also don't want to see it destroyed, a lot of good memories in this car.

Also Bratman, no insult taken, it was a fair offer IMO, he just seems to think at this moment that he could get more for it. I will let you guys know if he changes his mind.

Im gonna have to laugh though because he always gave me crap about my Pontiac being a piece of junk and I got an offer for $2000 on it the other day and it runs slick as a fart, I paid $2900 for it in 2003 LOL. I have put a lot of maintenance in to it though. Its in much better shape inside too because I have never allowed animals or smokers or anything messy inside it.

SUBARUDE

its worth more then $400 cause the motor isn't junk its probably just bent valves which means the motor is save able I would say $1000-$1500 would be a fair price put it on craigslist and it will be gone within a week for $1500 or so

Iboc_C64

Yeah, my understanding is that it bent the valves or something otherwise catastophic to someone who doesn't wish to tear apart the engine and repair it themselves.

Fyi here is a recap with some other requested info.

-The car is currently located in Phillips at Sanders Auto but will probably be moved to my buddies Garage for storage in Kingfield.

-The car is a white 2002 Impreza Outback Sport with around 180,000mi

-2.5 Litre Single Overhead Cam that lost a timing tensioner and made bad noises, now wont run with new belt and tensioner.

-5 Speed Standards Transmission that runs and shifts almost like new.

-Everything in the driveline after the transmission is in good shape as far as I know.

-Struts & suspension are all good.

-Exterior is ok, a little surface rust near the fuel filler door, dent in the rear hatch, also some other small dings

-Front bumper is missing paint and has some small cracks in the bottom

-One rock cracked (but working) foglight on passenger side, the other is fine

-All power accessories and the radio+speakers work, not sure about CD player function

-Interior isn't so good, the seats are torn or stainded, the door are scratched and the carpet has paint stains.

-All lights work

-Exhaust is good, but I think the Catalytic heat shield has a little high mileage rattle to it, no biggie.

-Has some interesting small vinyle bumper stickers like "Dip me in Honey and feed me to Le$bians" lol.

If I can, I will try to get pictures this weekend.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back