FT '08 STi tinted tail lights for non-tinted

Nairb4

A bit of a stretch here but I figured I'd throw this out there.

My '08 STi came with the tail lights blacked out.  see: http://i.imgur.com/HKUFLkP.jpg

I don't like blacked out tail lights.  If someone has a set of OEM tail lights that are in good condition (they must be the red ones, which I believe is '08-'10) and wants to trade for these I would love to.  The tinting on these appears to be very high quality.  The previous owner that did them works in a body/paint shop.

If you want them, speak up.  I'll be attempting to remove the tint tomorrow hopefully without messing up the lights if nobody wants them, so speak up.

edit: Found out they were sprayed with tinted clear coat from a paint gun.  If anyone wants some really well done durable tinted tails for free, lets trade for your OEM lights.  

Changed my mind. Ignore.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nairb4

Tried everything I've seen suggested online (brake fluid, paint thinner, gas, etc) on some overspray on the back. Wouldn't touch it at all.

The guy I bought the car from worked at a body shop and I think he used something better than the off the shelf rattle can stuff. From the looks of the overspray on the sides/back of the housings he sprayed it with something in a paint gun. Gonna see if I can get ahold of him.

Offer still stands, anyone wanting to trade the red tail lights for some well done tinted tails let me know.

I'll try wetsanding if I don't get any bites.

Edit: talked to him. They were sprayed with tinted clear coat.

Last edited by a moderator:

jojo69

Yeah, I'd agree that dry/wet sanding using 800 - 3000 grit paper ought to take care of the coat. Buff it with some compound like PlastiX or any other similar product, apply a final protective layer or sealant and it'll be better than new
default_smile.png

good luck!

Latest posts

Back