gear carnage i found today. dont tow your subaru incorrectly!

skipow

previous owner had this svx towed from augusta to lewiston with just the front wheels in the air. car would go into gear after but would shudder violently, center diff fluid was drained, was full of metal chunks. trans was removed by yours truly (and fluffy in part) and disassembled to check the damage.  well theres your problem! i have no idea if this trans or front differential is salvageable. thoughts? 

inski

Looks like the front diff.  You're up to $900 in parts alone, already.

Pinion shaft all done.  Ring gear all done.  All those bearing all done. Case bramage? Probably.  Looks like it needs a 6 speed from these pictures.
default_biggrin.png

IBratmanI

Subaru Ambassador- AdidaSubarus
Change it to a standard. SVX's eat autos anyway. OR change it to an Outback or Forester 4.44 auto.

skipow

i already purchased a 4.44 trans and rear diff from a 98 legacy outback. only problem is that the trans i bought has female output shafts for the front axles and i cant seem to find male to male front axles? im only seeing axles with a female end on the trans side.

im just wondering if this munched trans is worth anything besides its scrap weight.

Meyagi

I'm a hack
good luck on the rear axles. svx axles wont work in the outback diff. 

aluras car is pretty quick with the 4.44

Latest posts

Back