Getting a thorough "Once-Over" on my car

scubiecraig

Ok, so my 07 Impreza is starting to show signs of heavy wear and tear... and it only has 54k on it. I bought it used from a dealer in NH, and I'm starting to find more and more things wrong with it. The only thing is, I really don't know WHAT those issues are. I can tell you that there is clunking from the suspension, there's a slight squeal coming from the wheels/brakes (even though I've replaced all brakes recently, and rear rotors as well). I get an occasional burning smell as well. I need to find a place that is fair and will give the car a great once-over. If it needs to be replaced, I want to start taking care of this car... hoping it will last me a long time. I bought all new struts (which aren't installed yet), but I'm not so sure that is the problem anymore and may return them if it isn't the problem.... I'm not sure if this is something Mikey does, but if not, where do you guys recommend going for a thorough look-over?

apkarian100

Vendor
Go to Manch Subaru, if you can. I know it's a ways but a couple of their techs are awesome and can work something out with you.

scubiecraig

Go to Manch Subaru, if you can. I know it's a ways but a couple of their techs are awesome and can work something out with you.
Are there some guys there from the forums perhaps?

Either Mikeymeyagi or Evergreen Subaru would probably be the best bet.
I have heard good things about Evergreen as well. It's a bit of a ride for me, but I think it would be closer than Manch Subaru. I just don't want to pay out the @$$ for diagnostics.

Matt

Dealer ship is going to charge you regardless. We don't work for free!!! I'd go see mikey for the best results. He doesn't bullshit.

scubiecraig

Clunking from suspension is either swaybar endlinks or bushings. just saying...
I don't think it is that though. If I grab and shake the rod that is connected directly to the wheelhub in the front, they both reproduce that clunk noise I hear when driving. Endlinks and bushings felt/looked fine when I inspected them... but then again, I'm no mechanic.

Mighty Subie

You're right down the road from Mike. Just get in touch with him and set up a time to swing by and throw it on the lift. It is really hard to ''internet diagnose'' things. There really has to be a check list of ''does it do this when'' and ''if you check this, does it do this?" and then it is really only a guess on here. Suspension stuff is easy to fix and if you know what you're looking at, easy to diagnose. Just take it to him and if he bills for a once-over, I am willing to bet that it will be less than what the dealership will charge and a lot less in gas. Plus you might be able to learn a thing or two.

Latest posts

Back