Girlfriend just crashed her car...

MuddyWRX

Ok my girlfriend just crashed her 2001 Outback trying to avoid a deer. Basically front end damage, Im going to see how bad tomorrow. I know its going to need hood, front bumper parts, and a passenger side front fender. Not sure yet about the steering and radiator, the car was running fine when she stopped she had to turn it off. So hopefully that's good, and its just the front end stuff. Head on into a tree.

So my question for the experts, does anyone know what front end parts will fit? As in what year range am I looking in for used parts, 2000-????

Thanks for any and all help.

Legwagon

BC-BF-*BJ*
if its a legacy outback I would think any 2001-2004 parts would fit

if its an impreza outback I would think any 97-2001 parts would fit

2point5RS_Dan

HATER DAN
Second generation outbacks are from 2000 to 2004. That's what you'd be shooting for parts vehicles.

Radiator, radiator support, timing cover are things I'd check.

People on here might have parts, but if they don't, I'd check http://www.car-part.com/

MuddyWRX

Thanks, this is exactly the type of info I need. How would I know of its legacy based or impreza based? It's not badged as either just outback. If there's no visible damage to the engine is it safe to make sure it starts? Other than coolant pumping out, of course

Legwagon

BC-BF-*BJ*
if its a 2001 it will be easy to tell... as far as starting it.. I'd check the fluids, make sure they are ok. check the Timing cover.... if its not touched you should be ok..

2001 Impreza Outback with this model any 97-01 parts should fit.

2001_subaru_impreza_outback_sport_wagon_22853925.jpg

2001 Legacy Outback with this model 01-04 parts will fit.

ff4lts.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
Thanks, this is exactly the type of info I need. How would I know of its legacy based or impreza based? It's not badged as either just outback. If there's no visible damage to the engine is it safe to make sure it starts? Other than coolant pumping out, of course

Outback = Legacy

Outback Sport = Impreza

Iboc_C64

What did the insurance company say? Or was the car on liability only? Just thought I would point out for future incidents that if she had full coverage, the best bet would have been to hit the deer rather than the tree. Most insurance companies will say if you swerve to avoid a deer then the accident is your fault and if you claim it, it would be a more expensive collision claim that would likely up your rates. If she hit the deer then you are not at fault and with full coverage then it falls under comprehensive coverage and you usually pay a lower deductable for the repairs with no effect on your insurance rates. Of course all this has to rely on quick thinking because if the deer is too big or jumping and may come through the windshield, then the tree is probably safer.

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
It doesn't matter what coverage you have. Hit the deer. Moveable objects are far softer than immovable objects.

Iboc_C64

Yes, that much is certain. But I would rather have a hard tree wedged in my grill than a big half living deer kicking the $hit out of my face while stuck dieing in my windshield glass. that's all Im saying. Also whenever possible, brake till your about to hit, then let off the brake to bring up the front end, that way there is a slighly better chance that you will go over the deer instead of the deer going over you.

Last edited by a moderator:

MuddyWRX

Just liability, so its all on me to fix it. She's a new driver, so she just reacted. She was all set until she just caught the shoulder, the sand pulled her out. Its a bad spot of road, animal collisions are very common on this corner and most commonly moose.

Good news is it starts and runs, things are pushed in just enough to be touching belt, but doesn't look like any pulley or timng cover damage. Looks like new hood, passenger side fender, passenger mirror or door (not needed just dented), upper and lower radiator support, probably radiator maybe electric fan, bumper and cover, and probably a bunch of assorted brackets and fun things like that.

052311123508.jpg

052311123457.jpg

052311123447.jpg

052311123522.jpg

052311123655.jpg

052311123621.jpg

052311123432.jpg

Not as bad as it could have been by a long shot.

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
Yes, that much is certain. But I would rather have a hard tree wedged in my grill than a big half living deer kicking the $hit out of my face while stuck dieing in my windshield glass. that's all Im saying. Also whenever possible, brake till your about to hit, then let off the brake to bring up the front end, that way there is a slighly better chance that you will go over the deer instead of the deer going over you.

With a moose, I agree with the above. You will rarely see the moose before you hit it due to the height. Deer, rarely ever go through a windsheild. Granted it has happened, but you are far more likely to kill yourself and everyone in your car by hitting a tree than a deer. They just aren't tall enough to pose a signifigant danger to a car like a moose.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7xUQR-FVrs

The snowdrift cars are setup and have similar ride heights to street cars due to the terrain. The collision was focused on the radiator (not the lightpod as it would have just blown off). It was a hard hit too, the radiator was wrapped around the alternator and the rest of the front engine goodies.

I have hit a couple in my time and never had one land in the passenger's seat. and one was in my lowered SAAB 900 (really low nose compared to a subaru).

Iboc_C64

With a moose, I agree with the above. You will rarely see the moose before you hit it due to the height. Deer, rarely ever go through a windsheild. Granted it has happened, but you are far more likely to kill yourself and everyone in your car by hitting a tree than a deer. They just aren't tall enough to pose a signifigant danger to a car like a moose.

I have hit a couple in my time and never had one land in the passenger's seat. and one was in my lowered SAAB 900 (really low nose compared to a subaru).
that's why I said if it was large or jumping, Basically Moose hieght. As far as insurance is concerned, hitting the kritter is always the best option. For the record, I tried to avoid the deer I hit last april, but I did so strategically. I had no passenger and no oncomming traffic so a tried to go around her in the oncomming lane, she was comming from the right too quickly to avoid even if I ditched so I straightened out and creamed her with my passenger side bumper. Probably about a 90lb doe, only did about $3000 damage to my 09 WRX.

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
that's why I said if it was large or jumping, Basically Moose hieght. As far as insurance is concerned, hitting the kritter is always the best option. For the record, I tried to avoid the deer I hit last april, but I did so strategically. I had no passenger and no oncomming traffic so a tried to go around her in the oncomming lane, she was comming from the right too quickly to avoid even if I ditched so I straightened out and creamed her with my passenger side bumper. Probably about a 90lb doe, only did about $3000 damage to my 09 WRX.
Deer are not moose height while running. Their vertical height only increases max 6" while running. Shoulder height on a deer is 36" on average. A moose has an average shoulder height of 72". Even if the deer hits your windsheild it is likely not going through, as they just don't have much mass. The moose on the other hand weighs 10X what a deer does. It is like having a miata tossed at the windsheild of your car compared to hitting a pile of hay bales in the road.

Yes, deer will damage your car, but they aren't going to end up in the front seat if you hit them (freak accidents not withstanding). The moose will tear up your POOP if you hit it. You are doing people a disservice to tell them to hit a tree rather than a deer. The tree is far more likely to kill you.

Iboc_C64

Pedro, you obviously know exactly what your talking about. I wasn't trying to argue, but I don't hunt either so I don't know the differences in size as much as you obviously do. I try not to see them any closer than a few hundred yards. A quick check on Wikipedia shows you are right, a big deer is between 250 and 350 pounds and a moose can go from 600 to 1600 pounds. But deer can jump pretty high too, just ask the other one that cleared my WRX while I was doing 65 under it. All I really know is that I am heading toward a big brown thing in the road with 4 legs and antlers that is not as mushy as I would like it to be and if I can avoid hitting it I will assuming there are no trees, or cliffs, or rocks or other danger close by. I was also thinking that by the time you have slid off the road, your brake should have been on for several seconds, so you should be traveling at a slower speed than if you creamed the deer to start with. I have seen big damn deer all the time but never hit a big one, they have crossed my parents lawn durring the day. I have also seen many moose in rangley and stratton. Some are freakin huge and I would just assume avoid them but for god sakes if your doing 60 don't go for the tree under any circumstance. Would you prefer I add the "ALL ADVICE SHOULD BE TAKEN WITH A DOSE OF COMMON SENSE!" disclaimer? The main point I was making is that most people swerve to avoid the cute critter in the road when hitting the thing will likely cause you less damage, less injury, and less financial distress. That is ASSUMING that it doesn't KILL you comming over the hood through your windshield, so just use your head. Preferably one should always take the path of least resistance, which would be to drive slowly, carefully and hit nothing.

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
I was only going off your previous statement of choosing the tree over the deer.

And don't worry about moose, you won't see it before you hit it. The majority of their body is above the range of your headlights.

Latest posts

Back