Go from synthetic back to conventional oil?

Legacy06

As the title says, can I go back to using regular conventional oil if I have been using synthetic without damaging anything?

IBratmanI

Subaru Ambassador- AdidaSubarus
I have known of plenty of people to do it, and I in fact just did it recently because I don't burn as much oil.

GMan

Why go back? Sure it costs a little more, but the advantages are worth it. Well, for turbocharged vehicles it is anyway. Can't put a price on peace of mind.

IBratmanI

Subaru Ambassador- AdidaSubarus
Why go back? Sure it costs a little more, but the advantages are worth it. Well, for turbocharged vehicles it is anyway. Can't put a price on peace of mind.
Like I stated, I went back because as we all know turbocharged cars use oil, I use almost none on conventional, and use a good 2 quarts between oil changes on synthetic. And I change my oil every 3kish whether it's synthetic or not. And I know of others that have changed back for the same reason.

jaKe

>>><<<>>><<<
I wouldn't worry about it. Have switched back and forth for years and topped with anything I can get my hands on in different cars and never had any issues other than when I have mobile 1 they leak more.

The problem more lies with going conventional to synthetic. This is because synthetic is actually a really good solvent and will clean many things out including some seals that are only sealed due to build-up. I got lucky when I bought my car and switched it to synthetic. M1 is a little expensive for me. I run Pennzoil or Valvoline synthetic. Amsoil claims you can go 10k on their oil if you run their filter.

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
I'd be terrified to switch to anything or put any cleaning additives or anything in my engine... After 300k miles gunked up oil is probably all that's holding it together... haha.

inski

I switch back and and forth all the time. It all depends on whats laying around on my bench at the time. My engines doesn't care what I'm putting in there as long as its slippery and contains sustained viscosity.

Iboc_C64

I use royal purple. At VIP it costs the same as any other synthetic oil change, $55.00. It works well for me, I change it every 3000 miles and burn between zero and half a quart between changes.

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
Use subaru synyhetic you will nit burn oil
who makes it?

It is probably just a proper 5w30 or 10w30. M1 is super thin, I use it only because it just commute with the WRX now.

$35 oil changes are my norm. Whatever synthetic is on sale at whatever autozone/advance autoparts/whatever.

if you are racing or modded, look for something with better properties.

Matt

Typically when I've seen a motor that burns oil it doesn't matter what you put into it because it'll still burn oil.

Latest posts

Back