goose honk

XDIRTYX

'09 wrx 25k stage 2. went to the track friday after i left when boosting it sounded a little louder. then yesterday morning getting on the highway under boost i started hearing "goose honk". ive read blow off valve going bad or vacuum leak. any ideas? getting it checked out wednesday at patriot. i work in saco so im dropping it off

diabloadsit

sounds like a boost leak. I use to break my connection pipe that connects from the tmic to the TB all the time. Sounds like really loud rushing air when you press on the pedal. That and lots of power loss.

XDIRTYX

Still getting full boost, and it's not a whooshing it a honk. It was more of a whooshing after I left the track.

diabloadsit

Honk Honk! LOL, sorry just had to get into character to get the full effect.

I don't know man. This is wierd. Does it make the noise if you have no load on the engine? Like sitting still and give it gas?

Nate

Founding Father
Does it make the noise if you have no load on the engine? Like sitting still and give it gas?
Good question. Might be good to know if this "noise" is related to boost, or engine rpms. You won't make much boost(if any at all) sitting there and reving the motor.

Nate

Founding Father
I'm still at this point leaning towards a boost leak. You still running a stock TMIC? They are KNOWN to develop leaks at the intercooler to throttle body hose. Ask me how I know. Mine sounded like more of a air rushing noise though. But with it being rubber, who knows it could be a small leak and be making a weird noise.

XDIRTYX

Ya it WAS only under boost. Now it has gone away and is a strait up boost leak. I'm only getting 15lbs and lots of air almost like an open wastegate. Just hope I can find it before I drop it off so I can get it fixed quick.

Nate

Founding Father
Hahaha. Called it. Check the connections between the TMIC and the tube, and then the connection of the tube to the throttle body. 99% sure you will find it there.

Look for oily/dirty area around there where it will be blowing out air. The air passing through the turbo/intercooler will be a bit oily, and will collect dust quite rapidly in the are where the leak is.

Nate

Founding Father
Im sure its from taking your TMIC off for the DP install. They just NEVER seem to go back right now mater how good you are. Really dumb design. And I have no idea why someone hasnt made an aftermarket silicone hose yet seeing that this setup has been used on the LGT since 05. The factory one is soft and floppy, which doesn't help the situation.

diabloadsit

Hahaha. Called it. Check the connections between the TMIC and the tube, and then the connection of the tube to the throttle body. 99% sure you will find it there.
Look for oily/dirty area around there where it will be blowing out air. The air passing through the turbo/intercooler will be a bit oily, and will collect dust quite rapidly in the are where the leak is.
Sorry bro I called it first. Check my very first post.
default_frown.gif

drvsdwz

DRiVe SiDeWayZ
another place to check, i had a vacuum leak as well, but the line going from the intake manifold to the bpv came off at the manifold when i took my intercooler off to do my exhaust.

diabloadsit

I wish there was like a mod you could do that would reduce all the freakin vacuum hoses our cars have. If anyone has ever dug into the engine bay before you would know what the turbo guys are talking about. It gets even worse when you add on aftermarket boost gauges.

XDIRTYX

My bad D,
default_additional_sillylol.gif
funny u should say that about the boost gauge. I was just thinking I want the aem one that shows a/f too

Latest posts

Back