Got a Mac

Mark

I know we have some loyal mac folks, sooooo help me out. what do I need? any system tweaks or software I should really have?

Stein

Stein
disable the glassy dock, disable dashboard, become fluent with Terminal...

That's pretty much it. Also, Spotlight is the only part of the OS I really like.

04fxt

I don't know a ton about computers.... But I am on my second macbook. I love it. I just added windows 7 to mine(need it for work) a few weeks ago and still love it.

Macs are the best!
default_biggrin.png

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
My macbook is held together with gaffers tape, superglue, and lots of extra solder.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mark

haha, you're supposed to be my expert chris. stop spending your money on 20 year old subaru parts

Mark

seriously though you may want to check out craigslist chris. I picked up an 08 13.3" macbook 2.4ghz, 2gb RAM, 150gb hd for $400

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
I haven't used the macOS for a while now, but when I used it here's some things I did.

Get a browser that's not Safari. Chrome or Firefox are great.

I used Adium instant messenger. Same thing as Gaim/Pidgin on Windows. It's much better than iChat.

I had growl notifications installed for a centralized notification system for all my non-mac programs

I had the X11 environment and all the linux base system installed so I could run linux programs along with the fink package manager.

This whole thing tied it in nicely to growl notifications. I also installed developer tools (which used to come on the extras CD, not sure these days). That installs all the programming libraries and stuff.

As I think of more weird stuff I did to my mac I'll post it up, it's been years since I used macOS as my main system.

Mark

first thing I did was install chrome. just been messing around with other settings and crap now. got transmission. I signed on to ichat using my AIM for the first time in probably a year. there were only three people signed on. poor AIM.

Nigel Prodrive

Dirt surfer
get latest Firefox, keep Safari as backup in case certain sites don't like the foxy browser

other than that, enjoy the lack of spam n malware worries

jmacfoto

I love my power MAC best computer I have ever used and its from 2001. I do run two screens with PS never a glitch

Latest posts

Back