Hail Damage

Iboc_C64

Well now I have another item to add to my list of bad luck. Leaving work today in the thunderstorm that passed through at around 4:45 I got stuck in traffic on western Ave in front of the car dealerships. It started hailing nearly golfball size hail and traffic was not fast enough to seek shelter under a tree. I probably have 15 to 20 dents and divits in my roof and hood on my black 2009 WRX. What do I do about this?

Last edited by a moderator:

inski

Wow! We had strong wind, rain, and lightning in AUburn. No hail.

I know a dent guy that could probably remove all your dents without massing with any actual autobody work.

Call your insurance company, it aint going to be cheap.

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
It all depends on what you have on your policy. You can get covered for pretty much anything. I bet you can get insurance for someone shitting in the bed of your truck...

Matt

you can also use an aersal air can, flip it over so it just blows cold air...then use a heat gun and itll pop the dent out. but check insurance first!!!!!

Iboc_C64

I am going to leave the windows up and let it sit in the hot sun, hopefully the fact that it is black will cause it to heat up enough to slightly expand the steel sheet and pop em out, but Im doubting it. I will call the insurance company this afternoon. I have damn good insurance so I am not worried. I tell you though, my car luck it terrible. This car has been one cosmetic headache after another, I love it anyway though. I just had a wheel bearing go bad too, evergreen is fixing that for me under warranty. So far the cars only mechanical problems have been a faulty AC blower and this wheel bearing. I will call the insurance company today. My roof looks like space with a bunch of little black holes in it. Like little gravity lenses or something, lol. On a quick check of the driverside alone this morning I have 3 good hood dents and 5 roof dents. The worst part about the situation is I was trying but could not get to the end of Western Ave to get under a tree fast enough, the traffic was so slow. When I finally did get under a tree the hail stopped 30 seconds later.

Iboc_C64

Just looked at it again. Without washing and drying I can see that there are around 5 or 6 dents that you notice without being told they are there. The hood has the fewest dents, maybe 3 good ones and 3 ripples. The roof has 4 good ones and around 10 ripples, maybe more.

Nigel Prodrive

Dirt surfer
same thing happened to me a few years ago, en route to a car show with my '73 911.

hailed like hell, I was SO freaked out about having a golf-ball-finish Porsche,
default_additional_mad2.gif

worked out OK tho, I drove up on some guys' lawn and stuffed the 911 under some overhanging cedar trees.

there were some quizzical looks from inside the house I tellya...I waved "Hi" in the middle of a raging hail-storm, the lawn was white with acorn-size iceballs, then I guess they figured out why that lil green car had driven up under their hedge !!

condolences, tho it's almost certain your new car insurance will cover hail damage
default_cheerleader.gif

Iboc_C64

Yup, I called them and it does. Like my deer impact I assume its comprehensive coverage and should be a $100 deductable with no permanant effects on my premium. The shop knows Im comming too. Marvin's Autobody in farmington is where I'm taking it. I couldn't tell any difference between the paint shades with thier work and that's hard to accomplish on a black vehicle. Took another look while showing a buddy from work and I have one dent between the passenger front door and the sunroof that looks like someone pounded it with a fist or stood up on it.

Iboc_C64

(I have blanked the beginning of this comment due to the content being in poor judgement, I would appreciate anyone who quoted me doing the same, it was not fair for me to say what I said.)

I have friends here at work with black fords, chevy's and toyotas. They must use thicker metal because they recieved no damage from the same storm and I was only 1/4 mile from the office parking lot where thier cars were.

Nigel Prodrive

Dirt surfer
They must use thicker metal because they recieved no damage from the same storm and I was only 1/4 mile from the office parking lot where thier cars were.

that sounds like job security for Charlie's favorite body shops.

my uncle once owned a porsche/audi dealership in Spokane washington. after the Mt St Helens volcano blew up, he had 35 cars on the lot with 4-6" of corrosive ash on em. "wanna buy a nice new 911 super cheap??" suckage was, insurance did not cover due to 'act of God" clause and he went bankrupt.

Iboc_C64

I did go down to talk to them about the damage, the guy said "Wow, that's as bad as the worst ones we had!" He even pointed out a ding on my fender.
default_angry.png
Apparently some cars on thier lot got dinged up.

(I edited part of this message too because it was posted in poor judgement. It said too much negative.)

Latest posts

Back