Hamburgers

Lawdawg

OK, this has nothing to do with Subaru's, but everything to do with something else that is near and dear to my heart.......food and, in particular, hamburgers.

Now, I know that opinions about hamburgers and who has the best and why are like that other thing in the nether regions that everyone has. I also recognize that there are different classes of hamburgers. Some, like White Castle, derive from humble beginnings, while others, such as from a higher end steak house, may have a leg up on the competition out of the gate.

Notwithstanding the above disclaimers, I ate at a place last night in Portland called Caiola's. Its on Pine street. It has kind of a fancy menu with quite a few things I couldn't pronounce and wasn't sure what the hell it was. They did, however, offer a hamburger, with cheese, bacon, and "home made tater tots." This offering hit home immediately, though at a place like this, I wasn't entirely confident of what I would get. Sometimes places like this try to go too far overboard and you end up with something that looks real nice but is a nightmare to try to eat and/or tastes like camel burger.

Boy was I pleasantly surprised. First, it comes on regular toasted bread with grill marks (not a harburger roll) just like mom used to make. Second, excellent bacon and cheese coverage, onions are on the side so you can choose your own onion coverage, and top quality beef. But the real kicker is the tater tots. Wholly sh!t are they good. They are little deep-fried balls of mashed potato goodness. Kind of like a large round potato fritter, deep-fried, and much better than the O-Rida frozen jobbies. You get three about the size of a squash ball, I wanted a basket.

Now, it does come with truffle ketchup and some other sauce of unknown identity (maybe thousand islands), and is a little on the pricey side at $12.95, but it might just be the best burger I have ever had--and I have had a lot over the years.

If the other half suggests you go to a "nice dinner," which generally means something other than Chili's, it is a great choice because while she (or he) is eating "Grilled Eggplant Puttenesca"--whatever the hell that is, you can enjoy a burger.

That is all.

saabaru

Holy write up on burgers batman....

Sounds like a kewl place, and I have never heard of it.. Hamburgers are tough. Sometimes I get great burgers at the Bear, and other times they suck. Last really good hamburger I had was at RiRa(Wed they are 1/2 off). I am not a burger type guy, but when I am in the mood, I try tyo get something different. And this place on pine st sounds delish.....

Today, I had a premade burger, that I had left over from the weekend, it was ok.

mikebike357

I went to Caiola's about a year ago and wasn't impressed. To me it was overpriced lousy italian food. Maybe they've improved but after all they hype I heard I was disappointed so I have not gone back.

When i'm on Pine Street I go right for Bonobo.
default_smile.png

V

vaguelee

Pine st. is spendy food heaven. If my girlfriend didn't work at

one of those joints I'd never have decent food.

Rightseat

$12.95 for a effin burger??!! I feel like the guy in the Miller High Life commercials...righteous action is needed, soon!

You doods need to get out of stupid spendy downtown PoPo and try some REAL burgers....

like Scott's Place on Rt 1, Camden. It's a leetle lunch wagon next to Reny's just south of village center. Nothing fancy, just a good juicy tasty burger made the way you want. Fries are excellent. Typical price, $5.50 for burger, fries and a can of coke. Sheet, for 3 guys having lunch, that price diff pays for the trip from PoPo!

Scott's has been slinging burgers in this same location since 1972, so you know the quality is there. :thumbsup:

Evil Jeff

You guys are gonna crucify me, but I just discovered the best burgers I've ever had this summer...at Walmart. Yep, frozen Sams Choice (or something like that) Cheddar and Bacon Angus Burgers. GF knows I refuse to eat frozen pre-burgers from the store, so she dropped this on me without my knowledge or consent, and I was shocked. There's real cheese and bacon in the burger. $6ish for a 6-pack, plus nessecary condiments/sides, and you've got 6 burgers for the price of your 1. Plus, it's cooked my way everytime, and comes with the dinner & show option (Buffy, Firefly, BSG, cartoon, etc....).

Lawdawg

I knew I was gonna get crucified for the price. :boxing: I just can't put into words the goodness of the potato puffs you get with this...

Latest posts

Back