Have a sandblaster or trailer?

JoeBalz

2005 LGT's suck.
Hey, everyone, so a friend and I just bought a sailboat, and the trailer is in pretty rough shape.  We didn't spend a whole lot of money on the boat/trailer/sails/rigging/motor combo so we don't want to spend a whole lot of money. Does anyone either have an older boat trailer kicking around that would fit a 17' sailboat with a swing keel for cheap or a sandblaster and a few hours to help us get our trailer back in decent condition? 

Any help would be much appreciated!

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
If the trailer is rusted out, no amount of sandblasting it will save it from the grave. My boat trailer actually rusted out so bad it eventually broke in half while I was transporting a customer's boat... I know blah blah, I got lucky and stuff, but just saying. If it's getting really thin, it's done and just get another. I have a lot of connections in the boating world around here, I'll keep my eyes open. What kind of boat/post a pic? That'll help me know what'll work.

JoeBalz

2005 LGT's suck.
IMG-20130505-00182.jpgIt's a MacGregor Venture 17' here's a pic. It's hard to tell with the trailer, I think it may just be surface rust, but I'm not exactly an expert. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
Those are fun little boats, I've sailed those.

Take a wire wheel on an angle grinder and start going at the trailer. You don't need to sandblast. Go at the worst sections and bring them down to shiny metal, see how thick it is. If it's really bad the wire wheel will just eat holes right through the steel..

JoshP

break out another thousand
default_wink.png

JoeBalz

2005 LGT's suck.
Ugh, I'm in school though, in other words, broke as f***. Only paid 650 for the whole setup and split it with a friend!

break out another thousand
default_wink.png
Ugh, I'm in school though, in other words, broke as f***. Only paid 650 for the whole setup and split it with a friend!

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!

Seriously? God damn, I'm wicked jealous. I've been looking for a boat like that for a while, and they're NEVER that cheap unless something serious is wrong with them...

JoeBalz

2005 LGT's suck.
Yeah, I think we got pretty lucky.  I've seen a few Venture 17's under 1000, usually in pretty good shape.  Ours has excellent sails, rigging and hull. The only problems we've found were obviously the trailer, an issue with the pull cord on the outboard, and the fact that for the past year it was a bit neglected over the winter and was a big mess.  It took us a couple hours with a shop vac and we had 80% of the mess cleaned up. I think the guy we bought it from just didn't know how or want to put in the work.  Before we put it in the water we want to rip all of the plywood out of the cabin and replace it with new plywood. Should be almost like new by the time we're done.

Meyagi

I'm a hack
ive got a galvanized trailer that could have the rollers removed and bunks fitted for the sailboat. its in perfect condition. only catch is you gotta take the 17' boat that's on it with the trailer for $350

Latest posts

Back