Headlights!

Spiller1327

I tried restoring my lights, Completely destroyed them. So hazy I don't even want to drive at night anymore. I was looking into the 220 dollar kit on e bay. It includes everything but the fogs. Its made by depot. Has anyone gotten this kit? Are they good quality? Any info is appreciated.

scubiecraig

I tried restoring my lights, Completely destroyed them. So hazy I don't even want to drive at night anymore. I was looking into the 220 dollar kit on e bay. It includes everything but the fogs. Its made by depot. Has anyone gotten this kit? Are they good quality? Any info is appreciated.
No experience with them, but have you tried checking local junk-yards? Sometimes they are a pot of gold, and it will probably cost you less than $220.

Iboc_C64

W.T.F. did you do to them? I have restored my headlights on my old car a couple of times. Worst time was they first time, they were yellow. I believe I did 400 grit, 800 grit, 1000 grit, rubbing compound + buffer, polishing compound + buffer. The key is the polishing compound and you need to step down from lower grit to higher grit, also do it using wet sand paper. They should clear right out no matter how foggy they are, unless you have glass headlights. In that case you would be screwed. Also its a lot easier if you take the lights out of the car and put them in a vice to work on them.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mark

First, I'm sure you can fix the restore job you did. Wetsanding should do the trick, then hit it with a polishing compound.

Second, the actual headlights on ebay are pretty junky. very prone to leaking. Corners, sidemarkers etc have been fine.

Third, a used pair of crystal clear 99-01 headlights will run you around 100 bucks.

Matt

That's about what I payed for my crystal clears. They do look like DONKEY after sanding them down. But once cleaned and polished they'll look awesome. I think you just missed a step. Any cordless drill with the right buffer pad will do the job.
a6898844-377e-7c4c.jpg

Spiller1327

They are glass headlights and I wet sanded down to 2000 and then rubbing compounded them. But one has a bad stone chip in it. I'll probably buy a set off gabe for 100 or so and put em in instead. And maybe crystal corners, fender markers, and blinkers. I dislike stock amber. Thanks for the help

Tyler

Pretty sure Gabe has said that the depot headlights are great quality. Talk to him, I'm pretty sure he's used them before.

Spiller1327

I bet they're ballin Ryan! I have some alright ones I got off gabe but they're a little weird. And I want all to match when I finish my front end!

Latest posts

Back