Hesitation after fuel fillup

mikebike357

I've been noticing that after I fill up the Foz and start driving that I get some hesitation from the engine. Most noticeable immediately after fillup when starting from a traffic light or in stop/go traffic... Lower RPM's. Seems to clear up in a day. I'd think that if it were junk in the tank it would happen all the time. I typically run it down to 1/4 tank and then refill with 87. Happens regardless of gas brand/station (Irving & Citgo are typically where I end up).

Vehicle - 03 Foz 2.5L 5MT w/ 89k miles

Fuel filter, plugs, etc were all changed at around 60k

CEL does NOT come on.

I always fill it all the way up (till the handle clicks off) but I don't force more gas in after the click.

Any ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:

Nigel Prodrive

Dirt surfer
try filling to half level, if it still hesitates that pretty much eliminates issues with filler neck, vents, etc.

mebbe you have schmutz in the tank and it's plogging up the screen over fuel pump intake.

...or there are aliens in your fuel lines...thirsty aliens. have you noticed if gas mileage is worse?

4WRXter

Skier!
I had something like that over the winter in our FXT. I ended up changing the fuel filter and running some StarTron additive for a couple of tanks full. It seemed to clear up.

You can probably get StarTron at a marine or snowmobile/ATV shop. It's the new "drygas".

Nigel Prodrive

Dirt surfer
the fuel issue is that the ethanol in Maine gas absorbs moisture from the air. especially bad in vehicles that sit a lot (boats, weekend cars, etc) and the STar-Tron really licks the issue. well worth a try!

mikebike357

Does StarTron zap any aliens who might be living in my tank?
default_wink.png

I'll do the 1/2 fill up next time and see how it goes. If she still hesistates, I'll StarTron it.... should probalby just do that anyway from what I'm hearing.

I'm at 1/2 a tank right now... should need to fill up by the weekend.

Latest posts

Back