Hi all, its been a while!

Iboc_C64

Hi Guys and Gals of Mainely Subarus! its been a while since I have been active on these forums. Just thought I would post an update for anyone that has been wondering whatever happened to me or my car. I still have my car and I am still alive, but some of you are friends with me on facebook or in real life you may have heard things or seen me post things and wondered why I never posted on here about it. I have been really busy at work and with friends and unsurprisingly enough...... My 2009 WRX. MY BAD LUCK NEVER ENDS!!
default_additional_unamused.gif
  Since the last time I had a major problem, when I got stuck in a hailstorm in 2011, I had broken more foglights depite the guards, but nothing too bad...

Fast forward to late August, I got some good news at work and went out to hang out with friends and celibrate lightly. I say lightly because I was still the DD for a few friends as I am not much of a drinker. My friends are employees at the bar I was at and they were having trouble with one drunk young lady so I helped my friend try to get her home, but she couldn't remember where that was. Long story short, it was a bad night, and after I dropped off my friends at home, I headed home at 2:30am. I ended up falling asleep at the wheel of my 2009 WRX and drifted through a shallow ditch, and in to a hayfield. The accident wasn't very violent and almost didn't even wake me up, but the odd contours of the terrain combined with the low bumper lips and side skirts caused huge damage to the front bumper & side skirts, ripped off the rear bumper, wrinkled the front fenders and bent the front control arms as well as cracking the headlight mounting frames. The car looked like hell, but it was still running, and driving. For my good samaritinism, fate saw fit to wreck my car and I got to endure a fun little Field Sobriety Test
. The car was out of commission for about a month and I had to drive my Grand AM.

After I got my car back, I went to town to see some friends, nicked a curb on a brand new tire and rim that had been replaced due to scratches after the accident. That blew the brand new tire by pinching the sidewall just right.... in front of 5 of my friends with big mouths. By the next day people were asking if I had wrecked my car again by crashing in to the bar...

default_additional_lolwtf.gif

Sometimes rumors are like a game of telephone.
default_rolleyes.gif

A month later I blew another tire after running over a nail, so I bought brand new 16" blizzaks in early december and figured my car worries were done for the year.

A few weeks later I started to hear this strange, light ticking/tapping noise at 4000+ rpm or so when passing other cars or accelerating. Since I don't often rev really high in my WRX or drive it really crazy, I didn't think much of it. I figured maybe my oil was getting old, it was around 2900 miles since my last oil change and it use to do that before I switched from Mobil1 to Royal Purple. I got busy and didn't change the oil for another couple hundred miles. In that time period, I added a quart and the oil looked fine, then a week later just before the change I added another quart and the oil looked PITCH BLACK. At this point the sound hadn't gotten much different, not much different than the lifter noise that older subies get, but not at low RPM. So I changed the oil and decided to keep an eye on it, and pay attention. The sound got better for a couple days, I drove several hundred miles over the weekend before christmas and it was ok. Then on Christmas day the sound suddenly got rapidly worse and decended in the RPM range to about 2500+ rpm.

I knew this was REALLY REALLY BAD. I instantly felt much better about the 100,000mi extended warranty that I had purchased from Subaru when I bought the car. So I brought the car to Evergreen on December 26th. They were great, they got me in to a rental because they were out of loaners and said they would be in touch. The next day I found out that they needed to see all my service records because it was definately an engine issue that would likely need replacement of the engine. I brought them my records the next day and they got me in to a 2013 Legacy with 1100 miles on it for a loaner, awsome. So much better than the Chevy Cruz rental I was in at first. They told me this shouldn't be too bad, I would likely need a new short block, should talke about a week and a half to 2 weeks to get my car back.... Well SAS (Subaru Added Security, the warranty company) had something different in mind. They kept going back and asking Evergreen for more and more records and information about my car and stalled the process for about 3 additional weeks before they finally decided that there was nothing disqualifying about my car and so they could send out an inspector to verify that my car was in compliance with the terms of the warranty agreement. A WEEK LATER, they finally authorized Evergreen to replace my shortblock under the warranty coverage that I payed almost $3000 for. HOLY CRAP, if I would have known it was that much hassle and red tape, I would have kept the $3000 and replaced the shortblock from that and a little extra out of pocket!!! But at least it turned out alright in the end, I'm picking up my car tomorrow and my total is less that $250. that's only because I had them change the timing belts and plugs while it was apart.

I Cannot say enough about Evergreen Subaru for everything they have done for me throughout this ordeal. They gave me a loaner, kept me informed, sent me internal engine They fought for me with SAS all the way. SAS never threatened to deny my coverage, but I felt like I could tell what they were up to and I wasn't impressed. Subaru's regular warranties aren't run like that, and they don't warn you that its run so much like an insurance program rather than a warranty in thier brosure. Anyway, Its been a long month, and a crappy several months of mishaps before it. Hopefully my bad luck is now at an end. Also, I need to offer my gratitude to Marvin's Autobody of Farmington. I have not found another body shop that does black paint so damn good.

Hopefully I put this thread in the right section, if not I appologize. Its kinda of an update for people in the club that know me but have been out of touch as well as big THANK YOU to EVERGEEN SUBARU!!!

Thanks Again EVERGREEN!!!

drvsdwz

DRiVe SiDeWayZ
Ryan! Holy crap has it been a while. That sucks about all the mishaps you have been having with the cosmetics. It's just too bad your streak of problems also made it's way to the engine...I'm pretty sure they fixed the issue with the updated shortblocks, but i guess i can be a guinea pig in that experiment too!

Iboc_C64

I'm hoping they have fixed it. My understanding on the thread on the issue over at NASIOC (im not a member, just ran a search) is that there was an issue through the 2008 manufacturing season that.... for whatever reason, results in a rod bearing failure even in cars that aren't driven beyond thier intended limits. I think a few of us here have experienced that issue first hand. But they also said in that same thread that the issue was fixed at some point in late 2008. If I remember correctly, The majority of the failures were happening within the first 30,000 miles. Some were failing almost right off the lot, before hitting 1000 miles. I don't think it would be too far of a stretch to guess that my engine might have had this same issue, but to a lower degree than some. I also have kept the car essentially stock, religiously change my oil every 3000 miles with royal purple, keep up on maintenance, and what I consider hard driving, most other WRX owners seem to consider normal to easy behavior. So I believe for all these reasons, it held on for 82,000 miles before it went out on me. But, in the end, I'm fortunate that I had the foresight to buy an extended warranty to 100,000 miles. And to the credit of SAS (Subaru Added Security), they did make good on my extended warranty and replace my shortblock. So even though I am dissapointed it took so long to get approval, I did get it, and now I am satisfied. The car is running better than ever so far, hopefully that's a good sign.

Latest posts

Back