How much is too much?

Tyler

Alright, this is really pissing me off ...

Back when we first got the car running, Joel and I put a bunch of tranny fluid in. I bought 3, put in 2 3/4 qts, but I didn't know how to check it correctly, so it was still low. Joel came and brought like .. 2 more qts., put those in and it seemed to be JUST BARELY under the high mark for the hot temp. After this, I checked it again the other day and it was low again .. like NOT on the dipstick at all. I bought 2 more qts, probably got about 1 1/2 of those in, and still it didn't show up on the dipstick. Today I bought a gallon worth, and a funnel. I put 3 qts in, and I just started to see it on the bottem of the stick. I put the last quart in, and it was like twice OVER the top of the hot temp marking. I drove home slow cause I was at Walmart, and I decided to double check it ... still over. So, I drain some .. check it, drain some, check it, drain some, check it .. it looks like theres a SHITload more than a qt that has come out of the tranny, but it's still over the top slightly. About the distance from one marking to the next, over the top ... is this too much, should I drain more? I know too much is probably worse than not enough, but is that too much?

R

redlinerally

According to the math, you've put in 10 quarts, and drained about 1, leaving you with 9 quarts. IMO, that's really high. Check your Haynes manual for a listing of how much it's supposed to accept.

-=Lobstah=-

15 qts of ATF?? Maan, ya need some parental supervision
default_wink.png

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
My 4runner takes in exess of 15Qt of ATF on a change.

10 sounds right in the ball park for a smaller car like a legacy.

Go on NASIOC and check the trans forum for the amounts.

J

junkyardgabe

most trannys take in between 12-13 qts you have to watch out for the subaru automatic dipsticks they can be tricky to read and you usually have to let them sit for an hour or so after you add fluid to check it cause the subarus back up the dipsticks after filling

Latest posts

Back