How would one of these fare in rally racing?

nhmtns

I was watching 4x4 truck racing this morning on HD Theater TV, and I started wondering how one of them would do in a rally race. I guess they're putting out 600+ HP at 8K RPM. Seems like they'd do pretty well.

3699731711_75a613a439_o.jpg

h29c4f52b

Last edited by a moderator:

2point5RS_Dan

HATER DAN
Trophy Trucks and rally dudes.

The idea of trophy trucks is high power and LOTS of suspension travel, which seems kind of wasted in rally.

As for whether you could rally one or not, I guess you could. I'd wait for Mr. Nigel Prodrive to tell you whats what though.

Trophy trucks / baja is sweet and I've read a lot about it. Only real downside is it isn't very innovative, sort of has nascar syndrome. Jeepspeed on the other hand.....

IBratmanI

Subaru Ambassador- AdidaSubarus
There was a sweet 80's turbo Toyota truck with a Total Chaos front suspension kit at the Union Rally a few years back, that thing was awesome, and it went well too!!

Ty Ty

There's no class that a trophy truck could run in. They also have a bit too much power, it would be quite wasted running a hard surface stage rally in a rwd.

internalcombust

They would sure as hell sound good coming through the woods!

They would be a little big to hustle through rally stages. A smaller toyota or nissan prerunner style setup would be fun to see.

Hmmm, a little four banger truck with working suspension? Interesting.

2point5RS_Dan

HATER DAN
As for a little four banger truck.... Team Hazard Rally has ran a Jeep Comanche for the past few rallies. They blew their motor and will eventually go to a v6. The truck had a nearly stock 2.5L inline 4 that made nothing for power.

TheChief.jpg

You can run a truck, but it may not be the best option.

Special stage as a FORTY THREE page discussion on it.

http://www.specialstage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38575

Last edited by a moderator:

ReZDoG

I'm not ReZPunk
Yeah... That toyota was corey rooks... He hated it for rallyx.. The suspension was way to soft... He was building it for desert racing.

RallyCat

Short version...

What you gain in ground clearance, raw power, and durability, you more than loose in poor handling and inability to carry speed through corners out in the woods.

Trucks like that are made to run fast over open rough terrain. They don't fair as well out in the woods. Besides, a proper trophy truck is not legal for competion in RA or NASA. They are tube frames with fiberglass bodies.

IBratmanI

Subaru Ambassador- AdidaSubarus
Yeah... That toyota was corey rooks... He hated it for rallyx.. The suspension was way to soft... He was building it for desert racing.
That thing was awesome!!

Nigel Prodrive

Dirt surfer
Trophy truck would be a double NO NO, for all kinds of reasons. Mainly too heavy and lousy cornering/braking/handling.

Also the tube frame trucks would be illegal under north american rally series rules.

Primary reason not to run one is they cost $250k and would get stomped in rally by a beat-up GC Impreza costing less than a half dozen Trophy Truck tires.

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
I would so take a dakar prepped yota diesel for sweep!

onboard air jacks for changing tires.. swooon..

111109-b-coo-.jpg

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
off camber corner with a dirt berm on the outside. not too atypical. But I will say (since I own a vehicle that shares the body and chassis) that it is not very tippy, it is pretty wide, just with a high roof (ala discovery)

Latest posts

Back