Impreza OBS 2011 sound system: not so great

sjdickey

I recently received a bonus from work and am looking on improving my OEM sound system.  I have tweeters and non-nav head unit.

I was wondering what other people have done to improve sounds.  In particular I am trying to decide if I should upgrade my headunit or door speakers. 

Any advice would be great.

Upgrade everything. A quality head unit will send cleaner sound but the stock speakers will limit it. Check out crutchfield.com. They will list the correct audio components for your specific car.

Don't expect great things from $300 worth of audio equipment. My 95 impreza had a $100 kenwood and sony xplod speakers, alright for low volume but crackled at higher.

Last edited by a moderator:

sjdickey

I would love to upgrade everything!  Fortunately my wife is giving birth to our first son so I also need money left over for a car seat and a whole bunch of other stuff. 

What would you go with first?  Speakers or head unit?  I am definitely picking up a small underseat sub.

I'm going for quality sound over loudness. 

Jamey

Think of the head unit as the heart of your system . Start with a decent deck work from there

And depending what you want to do down the road is what you need to decide what kind of radio meaning the pre outs I have a pioneer with Bluetooth and sub out pre outs I run a alpine 500.1 mono amp to a type r 12 sub just the radio alone cleaned up the speakers . However I do want to replace with focal all around . You can find deals on stuff used. I've had good luck I may have 500 into it all

Last edited by a moderator:

Visonik

Your speakers are good enough to have a decent quality with an upgraded head unit. Even  in my 02 Impreza, the stock speakers "came alive" with a head unit upgrade.

Jamey

Meant the op lol . I have the factory tweets as well and with a decent head unit they sound a lot better

Visonik

That's the key to it. Getting a decent head unit. If it's a cheapo, you'll be disappointed. If it's good, you'll notice a difference.

Visonik

I had, well, still have, just don't have it installed, a sony. The sound quality was pretty good, but navigating the menus was a pain. When I connected my iPod, I had to use the head unit to browse the songs, not the ipod itself. It was really just annoying.

Latest posts

Back